Chapter 7

The next morning.

Chris and Naomi wake up at the same time and they both immediately become stiff. Chris releases Naomi and they start scooting away from each other.

"Hey..." Naomi says.

"Hey..."

Naomi sighs, "What's going on? Why is this suddenly awkward?"

"Well, it might be because we're pretending to be married."

"Yeah, but...it's not like you and I are trying to be married behind closed doors. There isn't any pressure for us to act like a married couple when we're by ourselves...is there?" Naomi asks.

"Not if you don't want there to be."

"And if I did?"

"Do you?"

"That's not what I'm saying."

"Then what are you saying?"

Naomi goes to speak, but just huffs and sits up. She buries her face in her hands.

"I don't know...But, I mean...if people were to come here and if we were to somehow slip and accidentally mention that you and I still have separate bedrooms..."

"Well, we could always say we got into a fight or something." Chris suggests.

There's a pause.

"Or, if you want, you could move your things in here...I don't mind."

Naomi looks to him, "Really?"

Chris nods.

Naomi sighs, "Okay. I'll do that while you're out this morning."

There's another pause.

"Thank you for going through so much for me, and for being so willing to help me and for comforting me and...for everything else. I couldn't ask for a better best friend than you."

Naomi kisses Chris' cheek, then gets out of bed and walks out.

x

Naomi walks in after work as Chris is dozing off on the couch with an episode of 'The Office' on the TV. He blinks a couple of times.

"Hey."

"Hey." Naomi says.

"How was work?"

"Well, it was actually pretty...normal. Tony didn't touch me, but he didn't speak to me or look at me either. He's pissed, I know that much. The only reason he's throwing this party for us on Friday is because he's suspicious of us and wants to see if we're really together."

"Your world is so messed up."

"Don't I know it." Naomi states, "Anyway, how was your day?"

"We were just meeting about tour stuff again. It went pretty well. Everything after that though..."

"Uh oh. That bad?"

"Telling my mother that I'm now apparently married to a woman she's never met or even heard for that matter of didn't go over too well."

"Well, if it would make anyone feel better, I'd love to take her out for lunch or something some time."

"I don't know. If this whole thing is gonna end once Tony is behind bars, is it really that good an idea to get my family attached to you?"

"Well, it's not like we're getting a divorce because we aren't actually married; we just need them to think we are for a little while. Once this whole ordeal is over, we tell everyone what really happened and things will be the way they were when I first moved in with you. It's not like I'll be going anywhere when this 'marriage' ends. Plus, if I do try to make an effort to get your family to like me, it'll make this 'marriage' look that much more real to Tony and his little minions." Naomi says, "And, when we do tell everyone what really happened...I don't want your family to be upset with you or think you made an irrational decision. I'd like them to know me so that when we finally do tell everyone the truth, they'll understand why we did what we did."