Chapter 6

"And I told him we were on and off for a while before we got together a couple weeks ago, so it looks more serious." Chris says on the drive home from the club.

"Ooh, that was probably smart." Naomi says, "Listen, thank you so much or willing to do this for me. You're a good friend. I hope it's not too weird having to kiss me all the time."

Chris blinks, then gives an awkward laugh, "Weird? What? No..."

"Well, it isn't normal."

"No, but...I don't know."

They arrive home. They get out of the car and go to the house. Chris unlocks the front door and they walk inside.

"Oh and uh...I told Tony something else too since pretending to be your boyfriend doesn't seem like it's going to be enough." Chris says.

"Well, this should be good." Naomi says, "What did you tell him?"

Chris heads upstairs, "I told him I was proposing to you this weekend."

Naomi's eyes widen and she follows him upstairs, "What?!"

"What? Too much?"

"It's ridiculous!" Naomi says, following Chris to his room.

"Like the rest of this situation isn't?" Chris asks, "Look, we stay fake-engaged for a while until Tony lets you go find a way to keep you safe from him or find some real police to take care of it and we're home free!"

"Maybe, but do you realize what that would mean? We'd have to convince our family and friends that we're engaged!"

"Shouldn't be too hard." Chris says.

Chris opens the nightstand drawer and grabs a small, black box next to the gun he'd put there while Naomi was at work...Just in case.

Naomi's eyes widen, "You did not."

Chris laughs, "Relax." He says, opening the box to reveal a ring, "I've had it for a long time now...It was my mother's. It was given to me after my parents' divorce since I'm the oldest because it's been in my family a while, to give to my dream woman someday...If I'm going to convince my family that I'm engaged - for a few months, at least - this ring will definitely do it."

"Are you sure?"

"Are you sure?"

"It won't be for very long. Once we get Tony in a jail cell and off our backs, we can tell everyone what was really going on."

"Your fans are going to find out about this 'engagement' too. What do we say to them about it when this whole thing ends? How do we explain that?"

"I'll just say to the fans that the whole thing was a prank and we wanted to see how long we could make the fans believe it." Chris says, "This will work!"

Chris steps up to Naomi and smiles, "This is going to be the strangest question I have ever asked someone." He says, "Naomi...will you fake-marry me?"