1| A Freaking Unicorn

I race through the woods as the monstrous thing chases me. My inhaler tightly enclosed within my hands. The wind and branches of trees lash at my face as I dodge branches. The thing was too fast. My light colored dress trailed the dirt floor as the dirty leaves and clumps of dirt collected under my feet. I can hear the grotesque beast get closer with every step I take. I look back over my shoulders only to see the shape of an animal getting somewhat closer. My dress gets caught on the branch of the thorny bush. The creature gets closer. I drop my inhaler and tug at the very ruined dress. The creature growls and I wrench at the dress on last time. I begin running fast. I get far but not far enough because I begin wheezing.

"Go home."

He didn't have to tell me twice.

The jagged teeth of the creature seep into the side of my leg. I scream. The creature releases me. I hobble off through my trees until I trip. I go tumbling down a steep hill. I shut my eyes tightly. Items scratch my face as I go roll. I come to a stop. I breathe hard as I conservatively open my eyes. The animal is gone. Nowhere to be seen. Maybe lurking somewhere in the darkness. I don't want to be here when it comes out. I scramble to my feet and take off running until I hear barking. I stop abruptly afraid that it could be the beast. But it couldn't be the beast.

I step through the trees and a beam of light is shined in my face. I can't see myself but I was probably a mess of tears, blood, and dirt. I shiver and wrap my arms around myself. I move back cautiously.

"Back off," he says to the dogs.

I squint into the beam of light that the man is holding in front of my face.

"Mind turning off your light?" I ask.

"Oh, right." He quickly turns off the light.

The man with concerned eyes walks over to me holding his dogs on a leash and I take a step back.

"I'm Sheriff Stilinski. It's okay. You can trust me." His eyes search mine as more tears fall from my eyes. "Are you cold?"

I nod. He takes off his coat and I slip my arms through it. One of the dogs jump up on me and a faint smile takes over my lips. I fall to my knees and pet the dogs.

"What's your name?" He asks.

"Aura." I stand back up.

"What are you doing out here in the woods?"

"I..." I trail off. If I tell them that I was being chased by a monster they'd probably lock me up. "I was being chased by something. Probably an animal or something."

"The bleeding," he asks looking down at my leg.

"I tripped," I lie.

There's talking in the distance. Sheriff Stilinski and I was over to the noise slowly. We see a boy falling over flat on his face. The dogs growl and bark at the perpetrator.

"Hold it right there!" The sheriff sighs and shakes his head. "Hang on, hang on. This little delinquent belongs to me."

The boy jumps to his feet. "Dad, how are you doing?"

"So do you listen in on all of my phone calls?"

"No," the boy shrugs. "Not the boring ones."

"Where's your usual partner in crime?"

"Who Scott? Scott's home. He said he wanted to get a good night's sleep for the first day back at school tomorrow." He scratches the back of his neck. "It's just me. In the woods. Alone."