Curtain Call {21}

I pulled into Neo's driveway and got out of the car. I went up and rang the doorbell, waiting until Professor Bartosz answered.

He looked uncomfortable, but forced a smile anyways. "Hello, Alexander."

"Hi Professor Bartosz. I'm here to pick up Neo," I said.

"Right, for you, uh, date," he mumbled, stepping aside to let me in. "Neo! Alexander is here!"

Neo came out a moment later. He came down the stairs to me and grabbed my hand, tugging me towards the door.

"I'll try to get us back before it's too late," I told Professor Bartosz as I was yanked out of the front door.

"Don't bother. I'll come back when I come back!" Neo called over his shoulder.

We got into my car together and he snatched my phone from me, scrolling through my music. I mentally sighed as I started driving. Okay, so Neo and his parents still needed some work. But at least things were starting to get better between them.

"So where are we going? Or is it a surprise?" Neo said.

I shook my head. "Not a surprise. I made us lunch and we're going to eat it out on my mom's friend's boat."

"Wow, you don't own your own boat?" Neo said, raising an eyebrow.

"No. My father's considered buying one a few times, but we just use my parents' friends' boats and pay them gas money," I said. "Anyways, that's not the point. This is just the start of our date."

"Well, if there's food involved, I guess it won't be that shitty," he said, finally settling on a song and tossing my phone down.

"You're everywhere and all that I think about, I can't even feel alone in my own head," I sang along with the music, turning the volume up.

"Hey, don't sing when I'm trying to talk," Neo said, smacking my arm and turning the volume back down. "If this is just the start, then what's the rest of the date?"

I shrugged. "Don't know. I figured we'd just play it by what we want to do. Those are always the best dates."

He reached to turn the music up but I pushed his hand away. He snapped his teeth at me, glaring.

"Don't sing when I'm trying to talk," I mocked.

"I'M JUST A READER, YOU'RE EVERY CHAPTER, NEVER HAPPY EVER AFTER," he sang along loudly.

I couldn't help but laugh. The two of us proceeded to sing along loudly with music, rolling down the windows of the car and laughing at the stares we got from people.

I parked the car a few minutes later and we got out, grabbing the food out of my car. I took Neo's hand in mine and led him around back of the place we were at, taking him down to the docks where boats were.

We went over to one of the boats and Neo helped me get the cover off. We climbed into the boat and I turned the blower on, sitting down.

"Do you actually know how to drive a boat?" Neo asked.

"Duh. I've had a boat license longer than a driver's license," I said. "Driving a boat isn't hard."