Curtain Call {11}

***Alexander’s POV***

                “Alexander, good morning!” my mom said as I went downstairs.

                “Mom?” I said in confusion. “What are you doing home? You’re lucky I don’t sleep naked.”

                “I gave birth to you, Alexander,” she reminded. “I was supposed to have a meeting this morning, but it got canceled, so I’m going in later than usual. Your father already left.” She stood up, setting her cup of coffee down. “I’ll make you breakfast before school. You’re up pretty early yourself.”

                I shrugged. “Sometimes I wake up early.”

                I sat down at the table, petting Link as he came over to me. Vesper jumped up on the table, and I had to drag him away from mom’s coffee before he could stick his nose in it.

                “So, you and Toby have been spending a lot of time together,” mom said as she started making me waffles.

                “We’re friends,” I said.

                “You hung out a lot when you were younger, but you didn’t hang out as much once you hit high school. You had Scott and Bennett, and Toby had his friends,” she said. “But after you and Neo broke up…”

                “Oh. Oh, no. Don’t get the wrong idea,” I said, shaking my head. “I’m not dating Toby. I’m not…I’m not ready to date. Toby and I are just friends.”

                Mom sighed. “I know. I figured you weren’t ready to date yet. Although I do like Toby a lot. Such a nice boy. His family is so nice, too. I love his parents.”

                She slid a plate of waffles to me and ruffled my hair affectionately. She smiled at me, eyeing me.

                “You’re a nice boy too. I’m proud of you,” she said, kissing my head. “I love you, Alexander.”

                “I love you too, mom,” I said. I looked over and groaned. “Vesper, no! Coffee is not for cats!”

                Vesper picked his head up out of mom’s coffee cup, the fur around his mouth stained with it. He meowed at me and licked his face.

                “I regret buying you a cat,” mom said, sighing and taking the coffee away from Vesper. She picked up him up and dragged him over to the sink, cleaning off his face despite his angry protests and struggles.

                I ate my waffles, sneaking some to Link. When I was done, I washed off my plate and let my cat crawl onto my shoulders to hide from my mother.

                “Sorry Vesper, but that’s what you get for drinking my coffee,” mom said, petting him.

                “Meow!” he cried.

                “I’m going to go get dressed,” I said and left the kitchen. I went up to my bedroom and pulled the cat off of my shoulders, setting him on my bed.

                I changed into some clothes and tamed my hair as best I could. I went back downstairs, Vesper following behind me curiously.

                “Bye Alexander. Have a good day at school,” mom said, hugging me.

                “Bye mom,” I said, hugging her back. She smiled as she released me.