Curtain Call {14}

Toby walked back into my bedroom and I hooked a finger in his jeans, drawing him closer to me. He stared at me in confusion, jumping a little as I dug my hands into his front and back pockets.

                "Whoa, easy boy. I thought we were taking things slow?" he said, amusement rising in his eyes.

                "Where did you put my sleeping pills?" I asked.

                "Oh, those." He gave an innocent smile.

                "Yea, those." I raised an eyebrow, waiting.

                "You don't need them," he said, sitting in my lap.

                I wrapped my arms around his waist, smirking. "Are you going to tire me out other ways?"

                I saw a quick flash of hurt in his eyes. But then he had a smirk of his own on his face.

                "You're not using me for sex to help you sleep," he said. "I thought I told you before that you don't get to use me."

                "And you don't get to use me," I said, thinking of Neo and Jake.

                "I don't use you," he said seriously.

                "Neo is worried you're manipulating me," I said.

                "I am," Toby said. "I'm manipulating you out of whoring around and taking sleeping pills. I don't feel guilty about it, either. So I guess he's right."

                The doorbell rang and Toby and I stood up together. It was probably my friends coming over out of boredom.

                The two of us made our way downstairs together. We were both surprised to see Toby's father standing in the kitchen talking with my parents.

                "Dad?" Toby said in confusion. "Why are you here?"

                "The Sullivans invited me!" Henry Reed said.

                Toby went over to his dad, and Henry ruffled Toby's hair affectionately. I watched them, infinitely fascinated by how different Toby and his dad were from Neo and his dad. With Neo, it was like he lived in a house with complete strangers. But with Toby, you could just feel how close he and his father were.

                If Toby ever showed up home with the bruises Neo did, Henry would go out and personally strangle the fuckers. But Professor Bartosz just got mad at Neo over his fighting tendencies and constant injuries.

                "Where's mom?" Toby asked.

                "She had to work late," Henry said with a sigh. "But she's getting off earlier tomorrow, and wants you home for a family dinner. So we're going to hog you away from Alexander for a little." He winked, messing up Toby's hair again.

                "I have to go a whole evening without Toby? Damn, what am I going to do with myself?" I said with an exaggerated sigh.

                Henry laughed. "I thought you'd be grateful for a break from him."

                Toby pouted. "Not nice, dad."

                I snickered, but inside I was a little nervous. Clearly, Henry didn't suspect what Toby and I had been doing together most evenings. Did my own parents suspect it? I had no idea, but I had a very terrifying idea of what Henry Reed would do to anyone who was having sex with his son.