Curtain Call {15}

I rubbed at my face with cold water. My father had left the bathroom when I told him I just needed a minute to pull myself together.

                I dried my face off with a towel and looked in the mirror. My eyes were still red, but there was nothing I could do about that for now.

                Leaving the bathroom, I pushed open my bedroom door. Neo was sitting on my bed, stroking Vesper's fur as the cat purred in his lap.

                He watched me carefully as I moved towards him. "Neo, we need to talk."

                "You keep saying that," he said.

                "I know. But we're not talking about us this time. We're talking about you," I said.

                "I love talking about myself, don't get me wrong. But you're saying it in a therapist-like way," he said cautiously.                

                "Your parents," I said.

                "What about them?" he asked.

                "You need to talk to them. You need to, Neo. They don't accept your sexuality. You and your dad don't get along at all. Do you even talk to your mom?" I said.

                His jaw clenched, and he forced himself to shrug. "I don't care. I've never gotten along with my parents. It's always been me looking out for myself."

                "Neo," I said. "You need to talk to them. They're your parents."

                "We're not all like you and the air-head, Alexander. My parents and I aren't going to talk, realize the joys of family love, and start hugging and singing cute songs," he said, but I could see the bitterness in his eyes.

                "Please talk to them. At least you'll know," I said quietly.

                He stood up, setting Vesper on my bed. "I'll talk to my parents and deal with my mommy and daddy issues if you deal with your Jake issues," he said.

                "I was planning on it," I said, though I had no idea how to go about that.

                "Fine. I'll go home, show off my new battle wounds, sit them down, and have a little chat about shitty parenting and shitty homo sons," he said. He started to walk past me and stopped, hesitating. He reached out, gently running his fingers through my hair. He gave a slight nod before slipping out of my bedroom.

                I sat down next to Vesper, picking him up and burying my face in his fur. He meowed and pawed lightly at my shoulder.

                "I thought I was your shoulder to cry on?"

                I looked up from Vesper, and Toby gave me a weak smile. "How are you?"

                "I'm...good," I said, putting Vesper down. "Close the door. Come over here."

                He shut the door and walked over to me. "We've been excused from dinner. The adults are going outside to have some wine and talk." He sighed. "Your parents thought you could use a little space. I can leave if you want me to. I just needed to check on you first."

                "Don't leave." I grabbed his hand, pulling him down into my lap. He looked at me in surprise. I kissed his neck, kissing the spot just under his jaw that I knew was sensitive for him.