Curtain Call {2}

I didn’t have to ask him if he meant Neo Bartosz. He was the only one named Neo in this entire town.

                “Why? He never comes to these events,” I said.

                Bennett shrugged. “I don’t know. He’s sitting with his parents.”

                “Well, you don’t even have to see him!” Toby said. Toby knew what had happened, and he knew what it had done to me.

                “Toby’s right,” Bennett said. “He probably won’t come over here. I doubt his parents would even want him to see you.”

                “Parents,” Toby said, smacking his forehead. “Mine are sitting on that side.”

                “Well, it’s not like it’ll be awkward for you to see Neo,” Bennett said.

                “I know. I just have to remember to stop by my parents at some point,” he said.

                “So much drama. It’s always when I’m trying to eat,” Scott said with a sigh.

                “Sorry Scotty,” I said. “But there won’t be drama as long as Neo doesn’t come over here, and I don’t go over there.”

                “Well, the bathroom is over there, so I hope you don’t have to pee,” Toby said.

                “Don’t say that. Why did you say that? Now I’m thinking about it,” I groaned.

                “Don’t think about rushing water,” Toby said, pushing my glass of water closer to me.

                “Are you 12?” I asked, glaring at him.

                “11 and a half,” he corrected.

                “That doesn’t surprise me,” I grumbled.

                “You’re so mean to me,” he said, pouting.

                “Well, now you’ve got me thinking that I have to go to the bathroom when I know I don’t!” I said.

                “Pee outside like the dog you are,” he said.

                “This is your fault, Tobias,” I said, glaring at him. “If I get into an awkward situation with my ex-boyfriend because of you, I’ll make you regret it.”

                “I don’t control your bladder!” he said.

                “You could just walk back there and pretend not to see Neo,” Bennett said with a shrug. “But knowing you, you’ll see Neo and feel compelled to talk to him because you’re self-destructive.”

                “I am not self-destructive,” I said.

                Bennett gave me a dry look. “Oh, yes you are, Alexander.”

                “I’ll go with you,” Toby offered.

                “Are we girls now? I can go to the bathroom on my own,” I said.

                “I like to wash my hands before I eat, anyways. The food will be out soon. Let’s just hurry up,” Toby said, sliding out of the booth and looking at me expectantly.