Chapter Twenty-Three

"Are we there yet?" I asked, looking up at the wing-mirror at the front of the car. Riley flicked his gaze up to the mirror and smiled at me. His hand then moved from the steering wheel and moved to find my own, intertwining our fingers together and resting them on my thigh.

"We live in the middle of a forest and we're going in to the city," Riley chuckled lightly, gracing me with his gorgeous smile, "it's going to take us a little while to get there."

I liked this feeling. The feeling of just me and him together with nobody else to bother us. I felt safe with him and I prayed that nothing would ever separate us again.

"It's a full moon tonight." Riley's voice suddenly filled the car again.

That worried me slightly. I had experienced full moons before in my old pack but this would be my first one here. My first full moon with my mate.

"Oh," I mumbled. "Is this an important one or something? Is something going to happen?"

He looked up at me through the wing mirror and his eyes were full of guilt. Something was definitely going to happen.

"I-" he focused his eyes back on the road, avoiding my gaze, "I'm not going to be able to be with you for a couple of days..."

At first I thought he might have been playing with me but as I listened to the beating of his heart I knew he was telling the truth. "What? Why?"

He sighed deeply and blinked a couple of times, "this is your first full moon with a mate and there's a ninety percent chance that you're going to go in to heat," he explained slowly. He flicked his gaze over to me and then back to the road in a split second. "This is my first full moon with a mate as well..." He took a breath, "and I know I'm not going to be able to control myself around you."

The car pulled to a halt as we stopped at some traffic lights that had just changed from amber to red.

"So is that why you're taking me on this date then? So you can spend as much time with me as possible before having to leave me?" I questioned, my voice raising slightly. "What happened to this morning? What happened to you not wanting me to leave?"

"You're not going to leave, are you?" His voice was suddenly quiet and shaky. When I looked at him he was already looking at me, his mouth forming a small frown and his eyes showing clear sadness, the colour changing to a very light blue, almost clear colour.

I shook my head. It felt like a knife was being stabbed through my chest and piercing my heart when he looked at me this way, asking me that same question. He should know that I'm never going to leave him, not with my own intentions anyway. "I'm not going to leave."

He sighed with relief and then the car started again. As we drove across the junction the car suddenly jolted to the left. As I looked across Riley and out of the window. A large truck had collided with our car and was now reversing. Just as I thought the driver was going to leave he revved the engine again and drove straight in to the side of our car. I screamed as I watched Riley lurch forward and then slam back in the chair.

"Riley?!" I yelled, shaking his shoulder violently in attempt to wake him up.

Nelly, is his wolf awake?! I asked my wolf. Almost a second later I had a reply. Yes, he's awake. I sighed with relief at that. I knew he was going to be okay.

Out of panic, I kept screaming. Screaming at Riley to wake up. Screaming at myself. Screaming in general for not knowing what to do. And then suddenly people were crowding around the car; their faces full of shock and confusion. Some were on their phones, calling an ambulance I assumed. And that's when I realised. We can't get taken to a human hospital. Not when we're not fully human.

Out of pure panic I contacted the only person I could think of.

Payton?! I need your help! Just outside of the forest. Quick!

I had an instant reply saying that he was on his way along with a few other pack members.

Climbing out of the car, I furiously told everyone to stop calling ambulances, telling them I had people coming to help us. Nobody seemed to listen to me. It was then that I noticed the pounding in my head. Reaching a hand up to my head where the pain seemed to be coming from I noticed that I was bleeding; though I didn't feel faint so I assumed I was fine.

A woman came rushing up to me with some sort of material that she placed on my head, "sweetie, you need to sit down." she instructed and led me over to the car again, helping me sit down. I smiled thankfully at her and held the now bloodstained material to my head.

Come on Payton.

.

A few minutes later Payton arrived with a group following him. The group of men and women ushered the humans away from our car while Payton and I worked together on getting Riley out of the car safely. He was covered in blood oozing from dozens of cuts and scrapes from the force of the car hitting us.

"We need to get back to the house. Now!" I roared, the pack members instantly whipping their heads up to look at me. They bowed their heads submissively and then started running back the way they came; me and Payton following them with Riley in Payton's arms.

.

Third Person

"I did it," a cold voice spoke, "the Luna is dead."

A hauntingly eerie laugh was heard next coming from what sounded like a woman. Then a high pitched more hateful laugh joined in, coming from a slightly younger woman. "Well done. You've proved me wrong."

"Thank you, ma'am." the higher pitched girl spoke again, chuckling deeply. "When will I--"

"You will be rewarded shortly. My son will be yours, don't you worry..."

.

Is this chapter okay? I'm not sure I like it... But I'm off school ill and thought I would finish the chapter while I had the chance. Let me know what you think?

xo

P.S. I apologise that it is slightly short.

EDIT - so at the end of this chapter I said that it was a man who had caused the accident but then the Luna said that her son will be his... That's not what I meant to say at all; it was supposed to be another female. Sorry for the inconvenience!x