Chapter 10.

Athena
C h a p t e r     T e n

          “You need to have something to eat, baby. You haven’t had a meal since yesterday morning,” Colton pleaded, holding my hands and looking at me in the eyes. Oh, so he was turning on the charm.

“I’m not hungry!” I said, frustrated, for the hundredth time. And I was honestly wasn’t. I always felt nauseous after nightmares, which was why I could never eat after. I was scared of throwing up.

“Athena, have this food right now, or I swear I will handcuff you again!” he demanded. So he was getting frustrated too, huh? Well I’m glad he knows how I feel now.

“I’m not hungry though!” I nearly shouted.

“But you need to have something to eat! I don’t care if you’re not hungry. You can have at least a slice of this pineapple, I know you love them!” Not when I’m feeling sick I don’t.

“But I’m not hungry!”

“I’ll give you five seconds Athena and a piece of pineapple better be in your mouth otherwise I promise you the handcuff will go back where it was!” he threatened. Okay, so maybe now he looked a little intimidating.

“Fine! You’re so annoying!” I screeched.

“Good. And I’m only ‘so annoying’ because you’re the most stubborn woman I’ve met. You’re probably even more stubborn that my Mom was,” he said but just as he finished his last sentence, anger and pain flashed through his eyes. He looked vulnerable.

“Your Mum?” I asked, before I can stop myself. Shit. My stupid mouth. I have no filter in my mouth.

“Yeah, my Mom. She . . . she died five years ago . . . with my sister and my Dad,” he choked out. Shit.

          “I’ve been alone, without a proper family for too long––way too long and I want my mate!”

So, that’s what he meant. Well, it looks like him and I have more in common than I thought then.

I didn’t say anything else about it, and I think he was relieved that I hadn’t. He found it hard to talk about and so did I, so I was going to respect that. Besides, I didn’t want to get too attached to him, knowing that I’d be leaving soon.

“So, the pineapple is nice . . . it’s . . . err . . . juicy,” I said after a while of complete silence but the crunch of me chewing the pineapple.

He chuckled, shaking his head. “‘It’s juicy?’  Really? Well, I’m glad you like it.”