Chapter 4.

Athena
C h a p t e r   F o u r

“Look, I don’t want a mate. So, why don’t you forget me and carry on living your life and one day you’ll find someone who’ll be able to love you,” I said, even though it killed to say that. But I was doing it for our greater good, and although he may not see that now, he will later on.

He growled, looking outraged that I would even dare think of such a thing. “No you are my mate, and I will forever love you and only you.”

“But I-I can’t love you. You need to find someone else, someone who will be able to love you,” I choked, not daring to look at him.

We were currently sitting in his car while he drove to his house. I fought him every step of the way, and eventually, he had to literally pick me up and put me his car and put the child lock on doors so that I wouldn’t be able to escape. Even though I was doing everything to fight him, I knew deep down that I didn’t actually want to be away from him. I wanted to be in his arms: where it felt right. . .where I felt safe.

My wolf, who hadn’t said a word to me ever since I could remember, was clawing at me, growling and snarling, telling me not to take her mate away from her. But I didn’t want to be this: I didn’t want to be a werewolf.

“We both know you belong with me, so why fight it little one?” he said, sounding a little patronising, but I could hear the frustration underlying in his tone.

“No! I don’t belong to you! I’m not your possession, you know? You don’t own me!” I shouted back at him.

“Oh, but you do belong to me, little one,” he said, annoying me even more.

“Can you stop calling me little one?” I growled.

“Why, little one? Is it annoying you?”

“Yes! Yes, it is, so stop calling me that! My name is Athena, you-you kidnapper!” I yelled at him.

“Athena. . .” my name seemed to roll off his tongue, and the way he said it so sexily, and I am ashamed to say this, but it excited me.

“That’s what people call me,” I said in a flat tone.

“It is beautiful name, just like you,” he smiled, making me nearly blush- nearly. I had just about enough self-control to stop that bright red glow on my cheeks from appearing.

“Well, thank you. Can I know the name of my kidnapper?” I asked.

“Colton. . .My name is Colton Caines.”

His name suitable him, and made him feel even more sexy and alluring. His name, like himself, seemed so mysterious and secretive. It made me shiver, how he drawled out his name so slowly, like he knew what type of havoc that would cause within me.

“Well, now that I know your full name, it’ll be easier for the cops to get you,” I smirked, even though I knew it wasn’t likely at all that I would call the police on him.

“I think we both know that you would never call the police on me, babe,” he smirked back at me, causing my confidence to falter a little. Well, my confident front to falter a little.

It was like he could see right through me, right through everything I said. It seemed like those bright silver eyes of his could penetrate through my soul and discover every part of me. It was scary.

“Don’t call me by using any pet names. I have a name- use it, or better even, don't talk to me!” I snapped.

“Well, I’m sorry, honeybun and you know that I can't stop talking to you,” he said with a teasing smile.