Chapter 9.

Athena
C h a p t e r   N i n e

          With a groan, I somehow managed to open my eyes. I was exhausted. It was dark in the room, apart from a ray of sunshine which was pouring in the slightest bit of light in the room through the gap in the curtains.

Colton wasn’t here––weird.

I rubbed my eyes with my one hand, trying to wake myself up. It was ten o’clock. My left arm, which was handcuffed, was aching like hell and I was ready to pull it but I knew it was too thick for me to actually break it so I wasn’t about to hurt myself some more by attempting to break it when I clearly could not.

Lying on my back, I stared at the white ceiling. It was quiet here––way too quiet. The bedroom was I was in was definitely not soundproof. How did I know that? Well, let’s just say I could hear the couple next door having a little too much fun late last night. And since my bedroom wasn’t soundproof, I should’ve been able to hear even the smallest speck of noise with my highly trained wolf hearing.

A feeling of dread crept up on me. W-what if something had happened? No––it couldn’t have. Colton’s pack was one of the strongest; nothing could bring them down. They were probably just away or something.

Wait. How could Colton just lock me in this dark room and leave? No, he couldn’t do that. Maybe they were in a meeting? Yeah, that’s probably it. What about the kids though? I knew I would be able to hear the kids and they wouldn’t be attending a meeting, if that’s what was going on.

I turned to my side, facing the chair that Colton always sat in, rubbing my temple to get rid of the headache coming on. All this thinking was really hurting my brain. But my eyes widened when it laid eyes on the gleaming piece of silver which sat on the chair majestically. It was a key.

Now I knew for sure there was something wrong. Colton would never leave the key on the chair, just like that. He wasn’t that careless. And I knew that he constantly checked for the key every ten minutes, having observed him yesterday.

That sense of dread and emptiness grew inside of me. My wolf howled in pain and anger. Why? Even I didn’t know. But what I did know was that there was something definitely wrong.

Sitting up, I stretched my arms, trying to grab the key. It was hurting since it was quite far away from me. Once I felt the cool, polished key on my fingertips, I snatched like it was my lifeline.

My suspicion grew even more when the key fitted in. I knew I was supposed to be glad that I now had the chance to escape but it also meant that there was something very, very wrong here, and that was making me anxious.