Chapter 35, confession: they were exceptions

(A/N: Hello beautiful! Thanks for reading my book so far, I don't think you know how much it means to me! And I really do love you all! And also, because I didn't update yesterday, I'm going to update this weekend too to make up for my lack of updates lately! Anyway, here's chapter 35, ENJOY!)

Chapter 35, confession: They were exceptions

I didn’t even realise I had let my grip loosen on the mug I’d been drinking hot chocolate from. But before I could correct the mistake, the glass was shattering on the floor and the cringe-worthy sound was filling the halls.

I didn’t even bother to move my bare feet from the floor, all the energy had been stolen right from me. Phoenix’s eyes snapped to me in a flawless and creepy movement. He had been alert and conscious of everything around since yesterday. He didn’t even sleep last night.

“Cathy!” Lucas walked into the room with an air of superiority to him. Well, I guess he was an alpha. He looked to my feet, which were stinging a little, I guess. I did the same and followed his eyes to the toes of my pain. A bright crimson red seeped out from a single cut just under my ankle and slowly edged it’s way closer to the floor. Apart from that one cut and a few other insignificant scratches, my feet went unharmed.

I wish I could say the same for the mug.

“Cathy!” My mother swept into the room in her dressing gown and clambered to her feet immediately. She’d come into my room this morning and told me whatever happened I was still her daughter. And I told her she’d always be my mom.

She picked up the scattered pieces of glossy glass from the floor and flung them into the bin. She glanced at my foot and then shook her head at me. If I’d learnt one thing from my mom, it was that care was hardly ever the way to go. Despite her great motherly skills, she used them rarely.

She left the room mumbling something to herself.

I looked down at my feet, but did nothing about the little flow of blood. Really, the pain was insignificant compared to the pain of yesterday and the blood was about as intimidating as a dung beetle. Really, this was nothing, so I let it be.

Without any warning, Phoenix got a towel from the drawer and after wetting it with water from the sink, he dropped to the floor and dabbed it on my foot.

“You have to be careful.” Elizabeth’s words came from his mouth like they had the day before. I felt sick thinking of the situation. Lucas noticed my tenseness and smiled weakly while Phoenix tended to my cut.

“Phoenix.” He snapped suddenly, his face hardening. But his beta didn’t answer, instead his beta’s dead mate did.

“I know It’s no good, Lucas. I know this isn’t natural and I know all it’s doing is hurting people around me. But I have to say goodbye! I have to make sure he lets go!” She wined. It was weird hearing her voice but watching Phoenix’s mouth move. It was like watching a baby bunny rabbit viciously attack an elephant. It just… wasn’t right.

“Elizabeth, you’re dead!” He replied after a second of thought. I saw the pained look on Phoenix’s face, but couldn’t decide whether it was him or whether it was her. Lucas closed his eyes and took a deep breath as Phoenix stood and moved away from me.

I glanced at my now clean foot and then back at the two rogues.

“You need to move on. Both of you do.” He looked up through his eyelashes to Phoenix.

“I know.” It was his own voice again, that answered the alpha. Lucas nodded and Phoenix walked subtly out of the room, seeking no more negative words. I watched him leave and let my curious thoughts leave with him. I didn’t need to care about what they were going through. It would do me no good but distract me from the real problem. The Queen. The one and only.