Chapter 23, Confession: I was going to die

(A/N: hey guys! Happy tuesaday. 100 COMMENTS? I didn't think I could do it before this update! Thank you to EVERYONE who commented. *Happy dance* Oh, come on, you know you want to see my moves! ^.~

Ohkay well. I have to apologize in advance for this chapter. I bet you didn't see this coming!)

Chapter 23, Confession: I was going to die 

And he pulled the trigger.

The bullet wasn’t in slow motion. The death wasn’t kind to my eyes. And the piece of my heart that died with the young boy wasn’t easy to let go off.

Charlie had stolen supplies from the store room. He had helped Lucas, told him what to do. And then, and then…

Ronan had approached him at dinner about it. A guard handed him the gun and I guess he just lost it. I may have had a little fight with him the other day but… I’d never seen him this angry.

It was just a few bandages. A few medical things, barely noticeable. I don’t see the big deal, but apparently Ronan did.

The bullet hit him right in the chest. He’d fallen from his feet and landed on his back, staring distantly at the ceiling.

I ran over to him, screaming, but all I could hear the thumping of my own blood. Everything went numb. He was only 12. I think.

“He was going to die anyway.” Ronan remarked, but I ignored him, trying to attend to the boy who’s heart was failing on itself.

Nelly was at my side too, holding his hand and telling him it’d be ok. But we all knew she was lying. Even he did. He wasn’t dumb.

The blood was soaking his shirt now, making the previous white simple T-shirt a complex design of swirling red shades. Since I’d just eaten I tried to hold the food in my stomach. A few various cries from other people being held here came out but eventually they all left to go to their rooms.

All that was left in the room in the end were two guards, me, Nelly, Ronan, Charlie’s roommates and Charlie. He was holding on, I could feel the attempts to hold on. His muscles tensed and he looked like he was in so much pain. I didn’t know if I wanted him o keep trying or just to die to stop it.

Then he looked at me. He wasn’t Charlie.

Well, he was, but the eyes staring back at me weren’t his.

They belonged to Elizabeth. They were green as emeralds and were definitely Elizabeth’s. I froze, completely over taken by shock.

“We’re coming.” His mouth opened but it was Elizabeth’s voice that came out.

That’s it. I was going mad. This was Charlie. This wasn’t Elizabeth. But why would I be dreaming up her face? Because I’ve gone mad, that’s why!

I stood up and ran out of the room. Nelly was calling out my name, but if she had seen what I had seen then she’d be doing this too. Our room was the first one on the corridor. Pretty risking when we were hiding Lucas in it.

I covered my face with my hands and threw myself on the bed. Great, my last days alive and I was going mad.

“Hey!” A voice from beneath me made me jump straight off the bed. I pressed my back against the wall and started to hyperventilate. I’d always promised myself I would never go crazy.

Now I was seeing and hearing things. Oh heck.

Then Lucas slid from under the bed I’d just thrown myself on. I was still pretty shocked.