Chapter 31, confession: Just in time

(A/N: Hello fellow readers! How was your day? Good? Good! I know I've maybe kinda sorta dragged on this fight for a little too long, but trust me, I need to do it. Important things will happen. Important things that must happen. With that said, go ahead and read!)

Chapter 31, confession: Just in time

I pulled the trigger without a second thought, though. Ronan didn’t need his mother. He had his mate. He was a big boy now.

The bullet went straight towards her, and I smiled as it went on it’s fast course to her stomach. One shot there and she’d be injured, another shot in her head and she’d be dead.

That’s when she let out a wicked laugh and her frightened expression morphed into a humorous one. It dawned on me that her helplessness before was just an act. It was so obviously an act now. How did I not notice?

As the bullet hit her, a pathetic little noise embarrassed me as it dropped to the ground as if it had hit a brick wall. She laughed wickedly as the rest of the room watched on, astonished.

“Are you forgetting something, my dear daughter?” She said, not even trying to contain her laughter. The room stood silently, only half of them really knowing what I’d forgotten. “I’m immortal! And the only means by which you can kill me is by another immortal! Oh, Cathy, your ignorance is bliss.”

I shrunk into myself, not knowing how I could possibly forget that. How could I let my mind get so addicted to the thought of her being dead that it forgot that it was actually possible?

I slapped myself mentally, blushing a deep red colour.  Well, I was all out of ideas now. If you couldn’t kill the queen how is it even possible to win? No one else in this room had done anything wrong. No one else deserved to be killed! There was no point!

I dropped my gun to the floor in defeat. I didn’t want to shoot anyone but the queen, and if I shot her it would be useless. It was over.

“CATHY!” Lucas yelled all of a sudden. My ears winced at the harshness of his voice and I didn’t realise why he was shouting until I heard the gunshot go off. I was shocked and my body flinched as a natural reaction.

Something from my left slammed right into the side of me. I was flung to the floor and whatever had been knocked into me fell on top of my frail body. I let out a wince and kept still for a moment, analysing my bodies pain. Turns out I hadn’t been hit by a bullet.

Then what seemed like arms wrapped themselves around me. I wriggled out of whatever it was and crawled backwards. When I finally looked up, Lucas was sat on his knees staring at me. A flow of relief ran through me.

There was a moment of silence where no one moved. No one flinched. No one breathed.

While I sunk into Lucas’s eyes everything else that could happen seemed irrelevant. Even Tate’s death seemed meaningless now. What? What am I saying?!

Then everyone snapped back to reality. The fighting was started again with a gunshot from the guards and the shouting and battle cries grew too loud. I could barely even hear myself think.

Lucas helped me up from the floor while making a fuss over my cheek, which seemed to be cut. I hadn’t even noticed it. I brushed him off, pushing him away because I didn’t want to admit I had loved him more than Tate. Of course I had, he was my mate. But I still felt guilty.

We were thrown back into action and Lucas handed me a gun. I was still wondering where all the weapons were coming from, but I didn’t have time to ask. You know, too busy fighting off people wanting to kill me and all that.