Chapter 4

The air was chilly and Callie was tired from walking from home to her group therapy. Her legs ached and her head throbbed, causing her to dread this hour even more than usual. She sighed and decided to just get it over with. She sauntered through the doors and saw the usual group of foster children sat in a circle. She was a few minutes late, and had accidentally interrupted someone going on about how they think their new family is the “one”. She mumbled an apology and then pulled up a chair as far from Sarah as possible.

                She drowned out the session by editing some of the photos she’d snapped on her phone. She was pleased with how some of them came out and decided to post them to instagram. “Callie would you like to share?” the therapist asked politely, eyeing Callie’s phone.

                “Not much to talk about really. I like where I am right now, but I’m not ignorant. I know it won’t last long. It never does.” Her voice was emotionless, but her eyes said something else. There was sadness deep within her that even she couldn’t hide. The therapist went to say something, but Callie dropped her head and returned to her photography.

                When the session was over, she smugly got her jacket and squirmed inside of its warmth. Sarah walked up behind her, obviously annoyed by her presence. She ignored Sarah’s glare and scrambled out into the warm sunlight. She squinted her eyes at the brightness, trying to get her eyes to adjust. When they did though, she noticed an all too familiar figure leaning against the brick building. She winced and tried to act as if she hadn’t seen him.

                “Callie, hmph, maybe I didn’t make myself clear,” Liam hissed, strutting over to where she stood. “Stay away from Sarah!” He grabbed her waist, squeezing until tears poured from Callie’s eyes.

                “This is court ordered Liam, I don’t have a choice!”

                “Yes you do! Stay the fuck away you little brat!” He proceeded to push her down the stairs that led to the street, her ankle twisting causing pain to enter her foot. She didn’t dare speak for Liam would eventually get tired of his attempts of abuse unless she antagonized him. When he was gone, Callie allowed herself a silent sob before picking up her phone.

                “Brandon…can you come pick me up?” she choked, trying to hide the pain in her voice. He noticed though and somberly agreed without questioning why.

                He arrived quicker than expected, to find Callie on the stairs still, her ankle now swollen and purple. She had dried her tears by now and looked as emotionless as ever. Brandon popped out of the car, a concerned look on his face as he shuffled over to her. “Just help me to the car okay,” Callie pleaded, trying to keep him from spitting out tons of questions. He frowned, but lent down and picked up Callie, her effortless protest made Brandon even more worried as he placed her in the passenger seat.

                At home, he continued to carry her until they reached the couch where he laid her down. She sighed and ran her fingers through her chocolate colored hair. “I know that this wasn’t your fault,” Brandon said, sitting on the end of the couch where he lifted her foot gently and placed it on his lap to elevate it.

                “I tripped,” she lied terribly. Brandon threw a questioning look at her. She melted under pressure and sadness. “I just don’t want to talk about it right now okay?”

                “Okay,” he smiled, grabbing her hand and using his thumbs to massage it gently. She went to shrug away, but the pain was too much and she knew Stef and Lena weren’t due home till late that night. Brandon was surprised, but pleased that Callie was being so cooperative with letting him take care of her. He felt he owed her after the way he spoke to her. He knew the rules, and her boundaries. Trying to break them both would just drive a wedge between them and that’s the last thing Brandon wanted.        

                “I’ll drive you to group therapy from now on okay?” Brandon said softly. “And if you want, I can show up early to walk you out to the car in case…” he trailed off, but Callie nodded and laid her head against a pillow beside her.

                “Thanks Brandon.”

                Callie eventually fell asleep, her eyelashes looking longer than usual now that you could fully see them. Brandon smiled at her peacefulness. Gently he placed his arms underneath her and lifted her against his chest. Her heartbeat thrummed against his and he realized that for once, it wasn’t all about him.  

Okay I realized how SHIT my last chapter was, but I’m not going to delete it. I hope this one made up for it. I love ya’ll, thanks for reading.