Chapter 2

Mariana was just waking up when Callie stepped into the room, the sun’s light brighter than before. Brandon still stood facing the bathroom, frozen, trying to make sense of everything. Callie turned to see him, just as he walked into the bathroom, shutting the door harshly behind him.

“Morning,” Mariana said as she sat up from beneath the large comforter.

“Morning,” Callie responded as she began making her bed. Mariana eyed her carefully; suspicious of what she had been up to.

Downstairs Callie sat at the kitchen table, writing in a new journal that she had bought with some money Wyatt gave to her. It wasn’t for school, just something she needed to do. Luckily there was a cabinet under the sink that was so compacted that when she placed it in the far back it wasn’t seen nor bothered since she hid it under some old soap. Her hand almost ached at times from writing, but it allowed her to be free of stress.

I’m not as bothered by Tayla reading my journal anymore. I just, I don’t know, stopped caring. She’s not relevant to my life, nor Brandon’s anymore, not that I care. He’s my foster sibling and he’s well..I don’t know. It’s all too confusing. I wish things were just a bit simpler. I’m grateful though for being here. Stef and Lena are truly amazing people, and I’m blessed to have them in my life, if only for a short amount of time. Jesus has also gotten close with Jude, which makes me happy. We’ve never had a male figure in our life so I think this could help Jude. Mariana is warming up to me a bit, I think anyways. Brandon is just all around nice, maybe too nice at times. Either way, I love this family.

She heard some footsteps upstairs and quickly stashed her journal back in its hiding spot.

Silence filled the kitchen as everyone ate their bowls of cereal, Brandon’s eyes glued to the frosted flakes in front of him. Lena attempted to make some conversation, but the kids just kind of shrugged through her talking and quietly finished their breakfast. “You guys are walking to school today,” Stef said gently. “Your mom and I need to discuss some things. Tonight we’ll order pizza though okay?”

“Hell yes, can Lexi come?” Jesus asked.

“Wyatt too?” Callie mumbled. Lena and Stef nodded, smiling at the two teens.

“Hey anyone else wanna invite a friend?” Lena asked. Jude awkwardly shifted and shook his head, while Mariana rolled her eyes directly at Jesus. Lena took the hint and dropped the idea.

“What about you B?” Stef questioned, her eyes shining bright at him.

“Nah, I think it’s nice just to have family time, maybe the rest of us should do the same.” Brandon smiled bitterly as his teeth clenched.

“Well, Jude and I aren’t technically family..” Callie whispered, her eyes soft, but her lips curled back in a tensed expression.

“Hey, you’re family right now okay?” Lena said, putting her hand on top of Callie’s and Jude’s. They both nodded, and dropped their heads. “I agree with Brandon though, maybe just some family time would be good. We can order something else too with the less amount of pizza!” Lena’s smile was so full of happiness that Jesus and Callie agreed with no hint of displeasure.