Chapter 3

On the ride home from school, silence filled the car. Lena decided not to push any questions at the teenagers who just stared out the window, their eyes seeming duller than usual. Jude was the only one who wasn’t staring aimlessly out the window. Instead he looked back and forth between Brandon and Callie who awkwardly sat on either side of him. “So…” he whispered gently, neither of them flinching. He quickly closed his mouth and dropped his head, trying to forget that they were there.

                Callie was the first inside the house so she headed to the kitchen to grab her journal. Instead of sitting in the kitchen and writing, she headed upstairs as fast as her legs could carry her to write some more.

                Guilt eats me alive these days. It’s like everything that I do or everything I say is wrong. I’m starting to believe everyone else feels that way too…at least Brandon does. I don’t think he understands that I’m not perfectly fine either. I’m suffering too, and he’s just making it worse for me. Jude is the MOST important thing to me, and I bet you if Brandon was in my situation and trying to protect Mariana and Jesus, he’d go to the ends of the earth keeping them safe. He doesn’t know struggle though, so I’m not surprised he can’t see from my point of view…..hmmm that was a little harsh, Brandon is a good person. I’m just angry with not only him but myself and the world. I’m tired of…fighting. When can I just sit down, and know everything will be okay?

                Mariana slipped in the room and Callie smiled, casually closing her book. For some odd reason she trusted Mariana and decided that going through someone’s journal was not Mariana’s thing. “Brandon’s been in a bad mood lately, have you noticed?” She seemed oblivious to the fact that it was Callie’s fault.

                “Hm, maybe he’s stressed.” Callie said, her voice was very smooth surprising even herself. Mariana nodded as she rummaged through her clothes drawer.

                “Yeah, probably. That boy stresses himself out over the tiniest things.” She almost laughed.

                ….                                   

                “Okay, I just ordered two large pies and some garlic bread, is that good?” Stef asked, setting down the phone on the kitchen counter. Everyone nodded in agreement silently as they sat around the table.   

                “Callie how was your group session?” Lena asked, sitting across from Callie who awkwardly shifted in her seat.

                “Good, I guess,” she shrugged, her shoulders tensing as Brandon threw a glance at her.

Everyone attempted small talk, but the feeling of awkwardness didn’t leave the air, even after the aroma of pizza began to fill it as well. “Alright, tonight was obviously suppose to be special, but seeing as all of you are a little bit glum, I guess telling you the good news isn’t an interest to you,” Stef said, wrapping an arm around Lena with a slice of pizza in her hand. Brandon’s head shot up from his lap, Mariana and Jude giving their moms a suspicious look.

                “It seems that your mother has come into a bit of money thanks to an old friend who passed away and left quite a bit of his funds to her,” Lena smiled, resting her head against Stef’s shoulder.

                “We’re moving aren’t we?!” Jesus screeched, jumping out of his seat frantically.

                “No no Jesus, calm down!” Stef commanded. “We’re not moving, but there will be a slight change to our life.” The kids all watched her carefully.

                “Since we have no idea how long Jude and Callie will be staying, we’re planning on having them for a while which means, we need more space.” Lena’s voice was filled with excitement as the kids’ eyes widened. “Oh Stef you tell them!”

                “We’re putting an addition on the house and finishing off the basement so there will be not one, but two new bathrooms,” she paused to smirk at Brandon. “And Jude and Callie will be getting their own room, which if they happen to ever leave us, will become guest rooms or office space.”

                Jude smiled widely at the family and suddenly tears brimmed in his eyes. “What’s wrong hun?” Lena asked worriedly.

                “It’s just that, for once, I feel happy."

(a/n) Sorry i haven't posted in forever, I've been busy working at a camp, that is actually now over so I guess i'll be able to post more. Also, if you don't follow me on ig, please do. i'm @fosterfeels. Okay, thanks for reading and i'll probably post in the next night or two ok love you all