Hunger Pains & I Can See Clearly Now

I gasp. Air fills my lungs and it feels wonderful. Like a baby, opening its eyes for the first time, I can see everything – the edge of the chest of drawers is so much sharper and pronounced. I look outside the window, wincing as I turn my head. My neck is stiff. But the view from the window takes my breath away. I can see the stars, each and everyone, and it feels like if I reached out, I could touch each and every one of them. A huge grin crosses my face. This is awesome!

            As I moved, my throat burned, and I left out a cry. Ignoring the pain that coursed through my body, I tried to focus on Damon as my head swam.

            “I know you’re in a lot of pain, right now,” Damon said, from where he sat beside me, and I squeezed his hand. He winced, and I heard a few bones crack.

            “Oops. I forgot about vampire strength, sorry,” Damon shrugged.

            “It’s fine. I was going to crack my knuckles anyway.” I grinned, amazed at how he could crack a joke at a time like this. A time when his brother, Stefan lay dead in the corner.

            But I could tell that he didn’t want to talk about it, so I didn’t. Instead, I concentrated on ignoring the hunger that was clawing at my gut.

            Damon smiled sympathetically at me, and said, “The best way to get rid of the pain is if we get someone for you to feed on ASAP. But that’s a descision that should be yours, and yours alone. This isn’t a choice that should be made lightly – it’s not like deciding to have fish and chips or a roast for tea – this is an eternity of bloodlust we’re talking about.”

            I realised that Damon was being so careful and sensitive about this; and offering me the choice, because he’d never had the choice. Stefan, being selfish, had forced him to turn.

            I realised the implications of what Damon was saying. But I was certain. I wanted to be with him forever.

            Nodding, Damon smiled. “I’m going to go and get you someone to eat.”

            Smiling, and ignoring the hunger that was now burning and clawing inside of me like some kind of trapped animal, I nodded.

            A few minutes later, Damon was back, with the Motel receptionist in tow. I closed the gap between us in seconds, and sunk my teeth into his flesh, taking great big gulps of the crimson liquid that burst freely from the man’s veins. When I was full, I allowed the body to slump on the floor.

            There was a few moments silence, as Damon allowed me to let thing sink in. I was a vampire. And I was able to spend all of eternity with the man, or vampire, who I was so deeply and irrevocably in love with.

            I took a step forward, and he met me in the middle.

            Our lips met in a tangle of heat and passion, pushing against one another with a new-found force. There was no need for him to be careful with me anymore; in fact, I had to be careful I wasn’t too forceful with him!

            The cloak of desire consumed us once more and before I let myself give into it, I felt Damon whisper against my lips.

            “My princess of darkness,” he murmured, “I’ve found you at last.”