Truth and Dare

“OK,” I started, my voice faltering a little. Whether it was with nerves, or eager anticipation, I wasn’t quite sure. “Who goes first?”       

            Damon grinned his trademark smirk, before getting off me and sitting down facing me.

           “Ladies first, I insist. Truth or Dare, Elena?” He followed the question with a wink, which made me giggle. Here I was facing a dilemma, because I knew that Damon would ask me to evaluate his and Stefan’s kissing ability if I said truth – which I really didn’t want to do, as the last thing I needed was to proclaim my undying love for Damon Salvatore. But then again, if I picked dare, I had no idea what Mr Salvatore would no doubt conjure up for me. I took the plunge.

            “Dare,” I said, and it was my turn to smirk as a look of surprise flitted across Damon’s face.

            “Very well then, Miss Gilbert... your top, if you please. Take it off. And you can leave it off, for the duration of the game, as well...” I sat there, gaping at his crudeness for a moment, before taking my top off in one fluid moment. I didn’t see what the big deal was – I’d taken it off voluntarily earlier, when we’d still been playing the points game. Actually, speaking of the points game, I must think of a way to get back at him... I snapped out of it, looking at Damon, whose eyes were lingering on my chest. I tutted. He was such a typical testosterone-infused specimen.

            “Your turn, Damon. Truth or Dare.” This would be interesting, as I doubted he’d pick truth, but I’d have to make up some pretty good dares to keep him interested...    He surprised me, once again, “Truth.”

            I don’t know what made me say it, but it came out my mouth before I could stop it. “Why do you like to kill people?” Shit. Way to kill the mood, Elena. Despite the quizzical look Damon shot me, he answered regardless.          

            “I don’t really know, to be honest... I guess it just makes me feel powerful, in control. A man’s greatest desire is to be dominant, and when you’re a vampire, that feeling is intensified. I guess I just like to be in the position of choosing whether someone lives or dies, kind of like playing god.” He began to hum that Paramore song, Playing God, whilst jumping up on the couch and jamming to air guitar. His mop of brown hair was all array, and his eyes sparkled. I giggled at his childish behaviour, before he jumped back down on the couch next to me. He pulled my feel onto his lap, and I felt strangely comfortable. Thoughts of Stefan, which I once again pushed aside. I couldn’t think about that. Not now, not whilst Damon and I were having fun...

“Your turn,” Damon prompted me, a devilish grin growing on his face. In the yellowy glow of the lampshade, his face looked very Edward Cullen-ish, sparkling, almost.

            “Dare,” I said again. I still wasn’t sure I was ready to answer some of the questions I knew Damon would ask me, if I had said Truth.           

            “Hmm... let me think...” Damon grinned wickedly, “OK, Elena, we’re going to go for a little drive.” He jumped off the couch, “Oh, and you can put your shirt back on now, I’ve seen quite enough... for now, at least.” I tinged pink, as I realised I had been sat in my bra, assets on display to the world. I got up, curiously, and followed him as he slung a leather jacket on, and left via the front door.

            “Where are you taking me,” I enquired, curious, but at the same time, a little nervous. Who knew what Damon had in mind?

            “Not to worry, Elena darling... this will be fun.” He turned the car stereo on, and Taylor Swift blasted out the speakers. Damon put on a ridiculously falsetto voice and sang along – rather tunefully, I must add. I couldn’t help but giggle as Damon began to pretend he was in a music video, gazing out of the window, his eyes barely on the road ahead, still singing along. “You see, Elena, I think I know why women find me so irresistible. Yourself included.” He shot a wink in my direction, and I felt my cheeks flush. Damn, I needed to stop doing that!

            “And why would that be,” I asked, still laughing at his exaggerated but uncannily realistic impression of the singer.

            “My ability to tolerate this goddamn trash you girls find soul satisfying or whatever... I mean, “You were Romeo and you were throwing pebbles... Daddy said stay away from Juliet...” Really? Do you people seriously listen to that??” Damon looked outraged, and he slammed his hand down on the steering wheel to emphasise his point.

            “I’m a more Indie band girl myself,” I said... “Taylor Swift doesn’t really do it for me... I’m more of a Vampire Weekend kind of girl...” I laughed at the irony behind my statement, and Damon chuckled too.

           He turned to me, and after looking at me for a moment, announced so matter-of-factly, “I like you, Elena.”

I turned and looked out of the car window.

 Little did he know, I liked him too. In fact, the more time I spent with him, the more I was sure about it. The only thing  I hadn’t the foggiest of ideas was where on earth Damon was taking me...