Broken Promises

I stood there, in my room, facing this very man who had broken his promise never to compel me – and with the knowledge of his admission to me, I felt like exploding. My emotions were a tangled mess – I didn’t know how to feel. On one hand, I felt pity, knowing that Damon had kept this to himself all this time, out of wanting to do the best for me... and on the other hand, I was angry. Angry that he’d abused my trust, and compelled me to forget. I clenched my fists at my sides, and Damon must have noticed my change in temperament because he took a step back, shocked.

“What is it, Elena?!” His voice was urgent, but at the same time I could detect the underlying notes of concern which he disguised oh-so-well. My eyes welled up with tears, and I sank onto my bed, pushing my travel bag aside. Damon sat next to me on the bed, taking my hand in his, and gently tracing patterns with his thumb on my palm.

“You lied to me.” My voice came a little harsher than I had intended, and I saw Damon’s taken aback look from the corner of my eye, as a lone tear streaked down my face.

“What? What did I do Elena? Tell me?” Damon’s tone was pressing, and he squeezed my hand gently, wanting me to enlighten him.

“You compelled me.” A look of confusion flitted across his face, and then his face creased with horror...

“You... remember?...” His tone was inquisitive, this time. I nodded, the tears rolling freely down my cheeks, this time.

He retracted his hand and sat there with his head in his hands for what seemed like ages – I looked over at him and his hands were shaking. I pushed a lock of raven black hair out of his eyes and was surprised to see a tear rolling down his cheek. This time it was my turn to be comforting – I flung both arms around him, and buried my face in his neck.

            He tensed at my touch, but then cautiously moved his hands to be around my waist. “Sorry,” he murmured, and I could sense the pain in his voice.

            Uncomfortable at how close we were, even though I had initiated the embrace, I pulled away. “It’s OK.” My tone was snappy. I was still annoyed that he’d compelled me, not so much at the admission of his feelings for me, but I needed to get out of this house. Jenna’s laughter was really starting to annoy me. “Let’s go to your place.” He nodded in agreement, and we silently made out way downstairs, Damon slinging my bag under one arm.

            Jenna shouted something that sounded like a farewell, just as I was locking the door behind us, and I waved goodbye through the front window.