Defence lessons

Harry and Emma, having failed to do so the previous day, went down to Hagrid's Hut for breakfast. For good practise, Harry let Emma choose the route and she was delighted to discover that she had only taken three wrong turnings.

On arrival, they found Hagrid in a highly desperate situation. Lockhart was talking happily to the ginormous human completely failing to notice his huge fist were clenched in apparent rage. Whilst Emma reminded herself that her uncle's wrist was probably broken inside one of those hands, Harry managed to pick up elements of the conversation. He only had to hear the words "Kelpies", "wells" and "Signed copy of my book" to know that Lockhart was doing what he did with Professor Sprout: brag about his supposed skills.

Harry, like the good friend that he was, decided to rescue Hagrid if for no other reason than to prevent him from committing grievous bodily harm.

"I know plenty about getting kelpies out of a well, my good man." Lockhart said to Hagrid "It's easy when you know how..."

"I assure Professor, I know 'ow to ta'e care o' kelpies. I have been doin' this job fer several decades now."

"Come now Hagrid my boy, I'm only trying to offer you some of my expert advice..."

Before Hagrid could lose his temper Harry stepped "Why not do one step better Professor, I'm sure Hagrid has a well you can demonstrate you expert magic on."

Lockhart jumped as Harry suddenly made his presence known. "I... well... Gosh look at the time, if I don't start grading those paper they won't be done by tomorrow... Cheerio everyone." He walked away rather quickly.

Hagrid stared at the elder Potter in amazement. "Harry, how the hell didya do tha'?"

"You just have to know how." Said Harry grinning "I've been doing it all week. Serves the git right for making me pose in front to of a Daily Prophet camera. Besides the man is a fraud... I'm pretty sure I know more about Defence than he does."

"I tink yer righ' there Harry, if one word of 'e's written is true I'll eat ma kettle."

"Well Harry has already put up his entire gold and his broom." Said Emma "What happens when the two of you are proven right though?"

"Hopefully we'll get a decent teacher." Shrugged Harry.

"Or at leas' a less idiotic yin." Said Hagrid. "Anyway why don' tha two o' ye come in an' have somethin' te eat."

Emma was greeted by the dog: Fang, when he chose to jump up at her. Fang was considerabley bigger than when was and only Harry supporting her from behind kept Emma from falling back. When they sat down Fang decided that it was his goal in life to drool all over any lap he could find, thankfully for Emma he both started on and settled on Harry for that particular activity.

"So Emma, made any new friends yet?"

"Tonnes!" Harry said for her. "Every girl in her dormitory, plus Luna from Ravenclaw plus two first year boys. Who sleep next door to me."

Emma blushed "I'm so glad, I thought people would resent the idea of another Potter."

"Nah, why would they?" said Hagrid "Specially since yer not his girlfriend..."

"Argh that again." Said Harry "How much more often am I going to have to hear about this?"

Emma and Hagrid laughed "Sorry Harry, bu' you have te understand most o' the staff thought she was yer girlfriend to. I tol' them all tha' you weren' close te tha Dursley's bu' you still sent letters."

"Seriously... has everyone been talking about me behind my back?"

"I'm afraid so... I won' say what Snape and Filch said bu' Professor Sprout an' Professor Flitwick had a bet on whether yer girlfriend looked like yer mum or not."