Chapter 5

Tyler groaned at the jumble of numbers and letters on the page in front of him. He stared at them as if staring would make them sort themselves into some kind of sense. Tyler groaned once again and placed his face on the table. His iPod was playing random songs quietly that Tyler couldn't tell the difference of. His mind had gone to mush after the first half of the page. Tyler glanced at the digital clock beside him. Eleven PM. The sound of footsteps passing his door caught his attention. Keeping his iPod playing, Tyler silently walked over to his door and pressed his ear against it. Sure enough footsteps were passing. 

"Fuck," someone muttered as the made a noise. Amelia for sure. No one was meant to be awake this late, especially not meant to be going out. Tyler heard he descending the stairs, presumably in heels. Tyler bit his lip contemplating on what to do. If he confronted her she'd ignore him and continue to wherever her destination was. Tyler quickly pulled on some jeans over his pants and followed her. He waited until he heard the front door shut then went down the stairs and followed her. Shutting the door behind him, Tyler noticed that it was freezing and he was already shivering in his light t-shirt. He rubbed his arms and was relieved that the shirt was black, it would be easier to blend in. In front of him Amelia was walking briskly down the pavement, rubbing her bare arms. Her skirt was so short it could be classified as a belt and her top barely covered anything, nevermind hold any heat. Tyler shook his head and stayed behind a mail box as she crossed the street. When she was out of earshot Tyler belted across the road after her. Ducking in behind bushes and mail boxes every so often Tyler stayed hidden. She only turned around when a dog barked. That had caused Tyler to jump face first into a bush, he was pretty sure there was still leaves in his hair. He heard loud and heavy dubstep emitting from one of the houses further along. Lights were flashing and Tyler could see and guy passed out on the grass in front of the house. Tyler wasn't surprised when Amelia walked straight into that house. What could he do but follow? He followed her retreating figure. Tyler resisted the urge to roll his eyes, it was a typical party. Tyler guessed that the parents were out and a son or daughter decided to take advantage of the situation. 

"Hey cutie," a girl said and looked up at him, grinning. She was clearly drunk. Tyler smiled politely and gently moved her aside. He had lost track of Amelia. Everyone was touching in one way or another. He was surprised that this many people could fit in a hallway as small as this. Tyler cursed to himself when he spotted Toby. He was making out with some blond pressed up against the wall. Tyler moved quickly away from them. He heard a smash and it sounded like something expensive was broken. Tyler looked around once more but he couldn't find Amelia. 

"Tyler?" someone said and he spun around to face Jace. 

"Mr. Jace?" he asked confused. "What are you doing here?"

Jace raised an eyebrow, "I could ask you the same thing."

"I was looking for my cousin. I followed her here to keep an eye on her..." he said lamely. 

"You scared me for a minute, I thought this is what you do for fun."

"Then what are you doing here...?"

"Toby! What the hell is this?!" Jace suddenly shouted at Toby who immediately jumped back from the blond. Tyler shouldn't have been surprised when he saw that the blond was Amelia. Toby actually seemed to go white. The place went quiet. Someone even turned off the music.

"Mrs. Tanner called me complaining of noise and asked me to check it out. Mom is away for one night and you pull a stunt like this?" 

Toby had no response. He just stood there with a shocked expression and was getting paler by the second. 

"Okay everyone get out!" No one moved. "Did no one hear me? Get the fuck out!" There was a flood of people moving out of the house. Amelia saw me. 

"Tyler?! What the hell are you doing here?"

"Same as I am, making sure our idiotic relations stay safe." Jace paused and looked at Toby, "I expect you to be sweating and for the glass and the stain on the couch to be gone by the time I come back. Got it?" Toby nodded and ran off to the sitting room where glass was strewn across the floor. 

"I'll give you guys a lift home," he said and led them out of the house. Amelia walked behind Tyler, making sure he could feel her glares aimed directly at him. Jace's car was pretty old and Tyler guessed that it would need to be repaired a lot. It was silent in the car. An awkward silence. Amelia continued to glare at Tyler beside him. 

"You should be thanking Tyler." Jace broke the silence, "He only went to make sure you were safe." He paused, "If it's anyone you should be glaring at it's me. But I don't recommend that unless you want detention." The car relasped into silence. 

"Take a left here," Tyler said after a few minutes. "The third house." Jace pulled up at the bottom of the drive way. Amelia got out of the car as soon as it stopped. 

"Thank you," Tyler said quietly to Jace.

"Don't mention it." Jace smiled. Tyler opened the door to get out but paused. 

"I tried to work out some maths earlier..."

"How'd it go?" Jace asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Not very well," Tyler admitted. Jace laughed once.

"You live like five minutes away from me. If you come over at six I'll go through a few things with you for an hour," he said.

"You sure? I don't want to be a bother..."

"Honestly, you followed your cousin to a party to keep her safe, you deserve some free tutoring." He paused, "Sorry about my brother."

"Toby's your brother?" Tyler asked, shocked.

Jace laughed, "Well yeah, I thought you'd piece it together after that little scenario."

Tyler didn't know how he didn't put two and two together. It was obvious enough. 

"Wish me luck with him."

"Good luck." Tyler got out of the car. Before driving away Jace rolled down the window.

"House number sixteen," he said and left Tyler in the drive way. 

* * *

Let me know what you think and thank you for reading (: