Chapter 2

Tyler let himself be taken away by his iPod. He had no where to go. No friends to see. He was utterly alone with his homophobic guardians. He rolled over and grabbed his phone, flicking through the pictures of him and Colin. An ache rose in his chest when he thought about him. The first picture was of them both on a beach. Originally the day was meant to be sunny, but the weather had betrayed them lashing rain. Colin and Tyler had taken shelter under some stacked up boats. Their hair was wind swept and the both looked freezing. But they were happy. They next was just of Colin, with his newest band t-shirt and giving a full view of his middle fingers to the camera. Tyler studied his wavy black hair that he had refused to cut, resulting in it growing to his shoulders. His dull grey eyes, like storm clouds and his smooth lips. Tyler suddenly threw his phone across the room. It smashed off the wall into tiny pieces of deformed plastic. He didn't do anything that night. No homework, no anything. He just lay on the floor, thinking and remembering Colin. 

The next day Tyler woke early. He woke in his clothes from yesterday, Colin's old band t-shirt. The one he was so proud of. Tyler kept it on and got into a pair of sweats. The broken phone seemed to be mocking him. Tyler pushed it out of his mind and grabbed his iPod. He wanted to go running. He hadn't done that in a while. He slipped out silently, careful not to wake Mariana, Kelvin and their daughter, Amelia. He did not want to face them this morning. He was pretty sure Amelia would have heard her mothers rants by now. Amelia was the cherry on the cake to Tyler's life. Note the heavy sarcasm. She just turned fifteen and thinks herself the most inmportant person in the household. Ever since Tyler came to live with them when he was ten, Amelia hated him. He got all of the attention while she was left in the dust. But she was feeling poorly yesterday, so her first day of school is today. Tyler starts with a slow jog down the path. The sun is just beginning to rise. He'd have another hour and a half or so before school. Tyler kept his concentration on the beat of the drums and guitar matching his pace, keeping his breath even. He didn't even notice when he ran into someone. His head snapped up and his head phones fell out. Mr. Jace was standing in front of him with a surprised expression. 

"Good morning, Tyler. Didn't know you lived on this side of town." Mr. Jace put his hands in his pockets as Tyler nodded awkwardly. "Did you get any further with your parents?" 

"My aunt is pretty adamant," he mumbled. 

"How about your Mom or something?" 

"They died when I was ten." Tyler kept his head down. Mr. Jace bit his lip and grimaced. 

"I'm really sorry, Tyler..." 

"I've gotten over it," he said quickly. It's silent. 

"I'll let you get on with your run, see you later Tyler," he tells him awkwardly.

"Okay, Mr. Jace." Tyler began to put his head phones back in. 

"Call me Jace, okay?" Jace smiled and walks off. Tyler watched him leave, hands in pockets and head down. He shook it off and continued. 

Going back to his room after a shower he bumped into Amelia, who backs away as if recoiled by a snake. 

"Get away, gay boy," she pulled a face. Her blonde hair was just straightened and he could smell the make up on her. 

"Go get a vibrator stuck in your ass, Amelia." 

"I'll leave that to you, faggot," she sauntered off, doing this little walk where she looks like she has period pains. But she is so confident in that walk nothing you can say could stop her. Tyler pulls on some jeans, with a large rip in the knee. Tyler remembered how he got the rip. He was running from this massive dog with Colin and got it snagged on a fence. He smiled sadly at the memory. The only way out of this house is through the kitchen to the door. So Tyler didn't have much hope about getting out without being screamed at. Amelia was sitting there, nibbling at toast trying her best not to smudge her lipstick. Kelvin was there, practically waiting for him and Mariana much the same. 

"Tyler, we'd like a word," he said sternly, looking at Tyler intensely. From what Tyler could remember, Kelvin looked a lot like Tyler's mother, Susan. Mariana looked nothing like Tyler's father, Gregory. Very strange that Kelvin was Susan's brother while Mariana was Gregory's sister. Tyler is pretty sure that his parents introduced Kelvin and Mariana to each other, when they were dating. 

"I haven't got time..." He attempts moving towards the door. 

"Then make time," Mariana snapped, obviously she wasn't over yesterday. Amelia smirked at him from behind a glass of orange juice. 

"You're grounded," Kelvin annouced. 

"What? What did I do?" Tyler asked confused. 

"After all you've done, you asked for more. Now that's just too selfish. Plus, you snuck out this morning without our permission," Mariana said in a matter of fact way and moved her red hair behind her ear. 

"I went for a jog. I'm not allowed exercise anymore? And what? I asked could I stay after school for help in maths. You guys know I need help for that," Tyler said, exasperated. 

"If you desperately need help, seek it inside school hours. This thing of staying after school with God knows who, doing God knows what."

"Doing maths with a teacher? Oh yes very shameful on the family name," Tyler mimiced and shook his head, "You know what, you don't want me to have help, so be it." He passed Amelia, who looked as if she was about to burst into tears from trying not to laugh.

"Wipe that smirk off your face young lady and while you're at it take off that make up," Kelvin snapped. That made Tyler smile. 

As Tyler predicted, Amelia was a big hit with the guys. She sat with them at lunch as if they were her adoring fans. She was loving every minute of it, Tyler could tell. He couldn't believe that the sweet innocent nine year old he used to know had turned into that. His birthday was in two weeks and he doubted he'd get much awknowledgment during it. He didn't mind though. He was used to it. 

* * * 

Should I continue? Let me know (: