Chapter Two

Beck's fingers ran through Jade's silky black hair, pop punk blaring from the back of his RV and a joint hanging from her lips. She hummed in appreciation, her head feeling light and airy from the weed.

"Man, I wish I could be high all the time," Jade sighed, snuggling her head further into Beck's lap. He chuckled and stole the joint from her lips, taking a long drag. She pouted at him and he grinned, grabbing the front of her shirt gently and pulling her face towards him. Taking another hit, he placed both hands over her warm cheeks and leant forward until they were almost touching.

Jade gazed into his brown eyes and was suddenly, and very rudely, reminded of Tori.

What the fuck?

She instinctively jerked backwards, and Beck frowned, exhaling the smoke into the space between them and putting the joint down in the ashtray.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"N-nothing," Jade replied, shaking her head. "Just remembered what happened today with Vega."

Beck sighed and leant back into the small couch. "You already know what I'm going to say, babe."

Jade immediately felt annoyance prickle at her stomach, and she gritted her teeth. "Why can't you just stick up for me for once?"

"There are no sides here, babe. Tori is our friend and I really think you should start treating her better."

Jade shoved Beck and got to her feet angrily, but the weed made her sway, and her vision swam.

Stupid. Fucking. Vega!

"Why does everybody keep falling for her ridiculous sweet southern bell act? She's not as perfect as you all think!" she spat.

"Babe," he stressed, and Jade hated the condescending tone lacing his voice. Hated that he was looking at her with a strange kind of pity that she couldn't understand, hated that Tori seemed to have everybody she knew wrapped around her finger. "How are you going to complete this assignment if you can't even be in the same room as her?"

Jade growled and remembered the panic she had felt when Sikowitz had pulled out their names. No matter what she did, she couldn't seem to escape the brunette. Her face and her sickly-sweet kindness were everywhere. She couldn't even have a normal conversation with anybody at school without Tori being mentioned somehow.

She just seemed so... unattainable to Jade. Nobody ever behaved the way Tori did without an ulterior motive.

"I don't know, and I don't care," she hissed, walking a few feet towards the tiny kitchen sink and running cold water over her hands. She heard Beck get up and felt his arms wrap around her waist, his chin resting on top of her head.

She sighed and tried to let the tension disappear from her body as she leant back into his embrace. He smelled warm and rich, like a glass of aged whisky. She closed her eyes, grounding herself against him.

"Why does the idea of being friends with Tori upset you so much?" he murmured into her hair.

Jade swallowed and turned around in his arms so that they were looking at each other. "I don't need her."

Beck stroked the back of his hand against her soft cheek and smiled gently. "Everybody needs friends, Jade."

"Not me," she said stubbornly.

He shook his head. "You are so hard-headed."

"You can blame my mom for that," Jade said bitterly, subconsciously rubbing her arm. The thought of her mom only made her mood worse, and she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to will the thoughts away. Beck tightened his grip on her and leant down to capture his girlfriend's lips. It was the only way he knew how to ease the pain in her voice.