Relatonship strain

“what you think” I asked as I walked out of the dressing room into the narrow corridor where Damon was standing waiting.

 I was in a short strapless red corset dress that reached my mid thigh. The strings to tie the corset together at the back were black, and it had corset back detail on the front. There was a black rose flower on the right breast. The top had black lace trim, the corset had light black lace detail, and the skirt had heavy black lace detail. The dress came with a black gothic chocker about ten centimetres thick with bead detail. Finally I had decided on a black mask that covered from my eyebrows to my nose, and a nice pair of black high heels.

“wow” Damon’s face dropped as I looked in the mirror.

“I’m not sure, what do you think” I asked him turning to face him.

“I have seen better and I have seen worse” he shrugged regaining whatever dignity I had left him with.

“does that mean you don’t like it” I asked pulling a confused face.

“hold the mask up to your face so I get the full picture” he demanded so I nodded and did as I was told.

“well?” I asked pulling the mask back down.

“do you hate me or enjoy making me suffer” he asked standing up from the stall he was sitting on.

“why do you ask if I hate you” I questioned walking towards him.

“because you are dressed like that” he gestured towards my dress and I laughed.

“oh Damon, four little words” I smiled and signalled for the owner of the small boutique to come over.

“wow dear you look lovely, what is the dress for?” she circled me as Damon sat back down on the stall with a frown set on his face.

“masquerade ball tomorrow” I answered as she finished circling me.

“the dress flatters you my dear, is this for the Lockwood’s ball?” she questioned. We were only a small way from Mystic Falls so it was no surprise that she knew about the ball.

“yes” I answered with a smile.

“what do you think young man, I am sure this kind lady would prefer the opinion of someone she knows rather than an old hag she does not” the woman smiled at Damon and I smirked as his face fell even more into a sulky teenager pose.

“it’s all right” he snapped.

“oh I am sure you can do better than that lovely” she smiled at him and gestured for him to stand up and look at me properly.

“well if she wants to look like a prostitute from Moulin Rouge then that is the dress she should buy” he snapped, I quickly ran behind the curtain to hide my face before I showed how much his comment hurt. It was more his tone and the look than the actual words, well actually it was his whole attitude. I guess he is starting to get frustrated with me now rather than seeing this as a challenge.

“that wasn’t very nice” I heard the woman scorn Damon before she rushed after me.

“update I’m not a nice person” he shouted after her then I heard him leave the shop.

“honey are you alright?” she asked bending down to the floor so she was at my level.

“I will live, what time is it?” I asked her searching through my clothes to find my phone.

“three dear” she shuffled so she was sitting on the floor too. I heard shuffling from inside the shop and remembered that a young woman also worked in the shop.