Chapter 20: The Date

Love is like a virus. It can happen to anybody at any time.

-Maya Angelou

Rafe Moretti's POV

While my wife still dressed for my impromptu surprise for her. I decided to check my mother's whereabouts. I still couldn't believe that she let a woman who doesn't know how to cook in our kitchen alone.

When I saw no sign of her everywhere in the house, I knocked on her bedroom. "Come in." Said the cheerful voice of my mother from the other side of the door. I went inside her room and saw her still in her sleepwear. "Good morning, figlio. What do you want from me this early morning?"

I threw a disapproving look at her while closing the door firmly behind me. I don't want anybody to hear our conversation especially my wife. "Why did you let Coco cook breakfast today, mother?"

"What?" My mother asked, frowning at me. "Isn't that what should be expected from her? I mean, she's your wife so automatically her first duty as a wife is to cook for you during meals."

I took a deep breath and glared at her. "But I hope before you pointed out to her yesterday what is expected from the wife of a Sicilian man you put into consideration that woman is a rich heiress in England and she never been to a kitchen before. My wife nearly lost her fingers while using the knife. I didn't marry her so she can slave herself from household duties and be a good Sicilian wife to me."

"Oh, dear..." My mother placed her hand to her mouth to prevent her shock. "...is she okay? It was not my intention yesterday to see her hurt. I only informed her about the duties of a Sicilian wife. I thought she knows how to cook."

"She wasn't groomed how to be a good wife to her husband in the future unlike most girls in Sicily in her youth, Mama," I told her with annoyance. "She grew up with different culture compare to us."

"Oh, I'm so sorry, figlio." My mother said remorsefully. "Believe me I have no idea. I thought the reason you married her is that you saw the characteristic of your ideal girl in her. I didn't realize that she's rather...hmm, how should I say this, a complete opposite of Laila."

I rolled my eyes and stared wryly at her. "Really, Mama? Are we going to start this conversation again? I thought we already established that this topic is now forever closed?"

"What?" My mother said defensively. "I am not opening any topic involving Laila, my son. It was just an honest observation on my part please don't get me wrong."

"Very well," I said, but still not totally convinced with her. She might accept Coco as my wife but I knew she still think that Laila is the better choice to be my wife. She had set her hopes before that I would marry the dutiful Sicilian princess. But I was glad that union didn't happen. "I hope you will watch your words especially with the topic involving me and Laila in the future when we are in the company of my wife, are we clear, mother?"

"Yes, of course." My mother replied. "You can count on me, Rafaelle."

I nodded. I hope my mother would be true to her words. I didn't like the idea of my wife still thinks that I was harboring feelings for Laila. "I need to go." I kissed both of her cheeks before walking out of her room. Once I was in the corridor I bumped into the maid. "Please inform my wife that I will be waiting for her outside."

"Sí, Signore."

I went outside to prepare the things that we would need. Several minutes later, I was leaning on my car waiting for my wife when I saw her went out of the entrance door.

"Sorry, to keep you waiting." She said, almost shyly. I hid my smile, why running my gaze to her body. Was she really shy all of a sudden to me? After everything happened to us. This woman was adorable sometimes without even trying.