Chapter 18: The Jealousy

Man is jealous because of his amour propre; woman is jealous because of her lack of it.

-Germaine Greer

Rafe Moretti's POV

I knew my mistake as soon as we joined the progressing party in the garden of the Palazzo di Fiorenza. As soon as my wife and I stepped into the garden all male eyes were fixed to the woman in my arms.

Who could blame them? I asked myself bitterly. Coco was a stunner in her ravishing red dress. It doesn't matter to these men that she's in my arms they couldn't keep their damn eyes off her.

My mouth twisted with distaste as I glanced at the woman in my arms. With her red evening gown, these idiots also seem drawn to her scarlet lips to make the matter even worse the way she styled her hair one couldn't help to wish to pull out the pins that held those gold locks and watch her hair fall cascading in her shoulder.

I sorely regret my decision a while ago. I should have urged her to change her gown. This was all Leila's fault. She likes nothing about creating trouble for other people. I was sure as hell she's the one who advised my wife to wear this wicked dress.

There's no time to beat me for the mistake. For now, I need to guard Coco against this other men malicious stare at her whatever the cost. Despite my reluctance, I did my job to introduce her to the cream of Sicilian society who were here to celebrate the birthday of Cesare, when deep in my heart I don't want to do such a thing.

After introducing her around, we bumped into the Fiorenza twins with their friend. If I was not mistaken she's the wife of Laila's ex-fiancé, Marco Orsini.

"Are you enjoying the party?" She asked pleasantly, taking a glass of water to the passing waiter. My eyes narrowed in her direction. It seems that her words had a double meaning to them. Was her question directed to me or my wife? "Coco," She said, performing an introduction. "I'd like you to meet Francesca Orsini and of course, you already met my twin sister Laila. Francesca, this Coco, Rafe's wife."

Francesca Orsini extended her hand in my wife's direction. "Please to meet you, Coco. And I hope you it's not late to congratulate you on your wedding."

My wife took the offered hand and shook it briefly. "Thank you." Coco looked at Laila and smiled slightly. I smiled at her as our eyes locked together. I could see that she's blissfully happy and I am glad for it. The Greek man was taking good care of her.

"Where is the duchess, by the way?" Laila asked, looking around the slightly crowded garden. "Are they not here yet?"

Francesca Orsini rolled her eyes. "She already arrived with the Lucca awhile ago. But an emergency at home needs her urgent attention."

"What happened?" Coco asked concernedly.

The woman smiled reassuringly. "Their twins are throwing tantrums again. They refuse to sleep according to their nanny. That's why Tatiana is singing a lullaby to them via speakerphone probably. I think she's somewhere quiet as we speak."

They continued to make light conversation only women would understand. In the past, this kind of conversation was my cue to leave but I would not let Coco wander in this party alone. I wouldn't gamble my luck that if a man tried to flirt with her I would not ruin my godfather's party.

My wife is mine. Mine alone. Period.

Only half-listening to their conversation while I still glanced around to see if there's still looking at my wife. I didn't want to become a jealous husband...but damn I could not help it since Coco paid no notice of them either she was used to the attention or she wasn't aware.