Chapter 16: The Challenge

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

-George S. Patton

Coco Spencer's POV

I stared at the beautiful scenery around me in silence. Here I was sitting on the passenger's side of Leila Salazar's red convertible making our way to the city to shop for an evening for tomorrow's party.

I wasn't still sure if my decision had been correct to tag along with this woman for an unexpected trip in town. I was still wary on how to get along with the twins after learning about their association with Rafe in the past. Part of me wishes that I should have just stayed in London and didn't come here altogether.

"Why are you so quiet?" Leila broke the silence in the car drive. "I'm not going to eat you or toss you in the cliff, you know."

I stared at her. "I'm not worried," I answered with a slightly forced smile on my face. "I'm just thinking, that's all."

She smiled but her eyes were still fixed on the road. "They say when a woman is thinking the man should worry. Thank goodness I am a girl like you so I don't need to be worried about whatever you are thinking right now."

My lips twitched a little. I like this woman. I saw myself with her attitude sometimes. If our circumstances were different I knew I could get along with her so much. "Are you trying to make light conversation with me?"

She shrugged never bothered to spare me even a glance. "I don't know. Maybe I just want to get to know you better. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I just want to lift the heavy atmosphere inside my car." For the first time, she glanced at me briefly with a knowing smile. "So are you going to tell me what's bothering you?"

I avoided her gaze. "You don't want to know."

"Try me." She invited gamely, she change gear vigorously like a professional race car driver. "Are you worried about my driving skills? Relax, you are safe with me. I have been driving since I was fifteen. Though, recently my father nearly asks the Italian government to revoke my license."

My eyes widened at her words. From what I saw to their father, he was not the type of man you could consider as a loving father. He seemed cold and distant. "What happened?"

She gave me a self-mocking smile. "You see, not so long ago I got involve with a self-accident in this hairpin curve road of Ragusa."

"Oh my God," I looked at her with horror on my face. "Do I need to feel worried about it now? Are you sure we're not going to suffer the same thing today?"

Leila grinned deviously in the direction. "Loosen up, like I said a while ago you are safe with my driving skills. The only reason I got involved with the accident before was that there was so much in my mind that time."

"And now?"

"And now," She repeated with arrogance in her voice. "My mind is as clear as the peaceful ocean."

I breathed deeply. "Good to know."

"Now that we already establish the first level of being friends." She announced brightly. "Are you now going to tell me what's bothering you? I can perceive that you are not on your usual self since you arrive. Let's cut the crap, shall we? I know this has something to do with Rafe Moretti."

I sighed upon hearing his name. So much for trying to lift my mood for this trip I guessed this was going to be inevitable talk. "It's complicated."

"I couldn't agree with you more." She nodded. "I hope you don't mind me in asking. How long you have been married to Rafe?"

I stared at her helplessly. "One week."