Chapter 13: The Secret

The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart.

-St. Jerome

Rafe Moretti's POV

I arrived at Spencer's manor past midnight. So much for my promised that I would be here before dinner time to my wife I was caught up with my work. I found her soundly sleeping on the bed. I removed my tie and went to her bedside.

I touched her face slowly. "Signorina...?"

It was no use in waking her it's already late. She must be tired from her busy day. She looked like a peaceful angel while sleeping. I want to discuss our upcoming visit to Sicily with her but I decided to wait for this discussion tomorrow. I tiptoed in the bathroom for a quick shower before I go to bed sleeping next to her. "Good night, mia moglie."

The following morning I woke up early. I was a morning person I liked to start my day early so I could accomplish more throughout the day it's such a shame that my wife was the complete opposite of me she's still soundly sleeping on the bed. While I was dressing in the bedroom I shared with my wife in their manor. I was in the middle of fixing my tie when she suddenly woke up.

"Good morning," I said brightly in her still sleepy face. "Time for your breakfast."

"What time is it?" She asked yawing while stretching her arms upward. "What time did you arrive last night? I want to wait for you but I fell asleep."

"Sorry about that, cara mia. I arrived late last night because of my mountain of work at the office." I was about to kiss her lips when she moved back avoiding my kiss. I frowned at her, was she mad because of last night?

"Don't kiss me." She muttered softly, hiding her mouth on the sheets. "I still have my morning breath."

I laughed. I took her hand and kissed it instead. "I want to talk to you about something last night but I don't want to wake up."

Her blue-grey eyes lit with delight. "What is it?"

Still holding her hand, I looked deep into her eyes. "My godfather called yesterday. He's reminding me about his upcoming birthday party this weekend. We need to fly to Sicily tomorrow. I think this is a good time for you to meet my parents."

"Oh," She breathed, her eyes widened at the thought. "I know meeting your parents is inevitable but..."

I frowned at her when she trailed off her words. "But...?"

She stared at me with uncertainty in her expressive eyes. "I'm a bit worried, to be honest. Will they like me? I know I am not the type of girl they want to be your wife. I am not the type of girl that is good enough to bring home to meet your traditional family."

I smiled at her worried face. "They will like you just the way you are. You are a very special woman."

She sent me a distrustful look. "You are just saying that to ease my worries. It wouldn't take a genius to figure it out that I am not the type of girl your parents expect you to bring home to meet them, Rafe."

"Stop saying that." I reprimanded her lightly. "They will like you. Besides, I will also introduce you to the Fiorenza clan they are lovely people."

"Really?" She smiled delightfully in the direction. "I want to meet them too. Especially, this godfather of yours."

"He's a good man," I told her casually. "Even though most of the time people see him as a cold and ruthless man. He is just reclusive and distant from the rest of the world. People in Sicily treated him like a king even the organized crime group in Sicily respect my godfather. Rumor has it that he has a connection with the mafia but that is just speculations."