Chapter 1: Ms. Serious meets the Boys

The beginning.

On the first day of our second year high school, Aaron suddenly sat next to me.

"Is this seat taken?" he asked with a sweet smile.

I glanced up at him and shifted nervously.

"No.  You can sit down."  Deep inside, I was dreading where this conversation was headed.

"I'd love to be your seat mate for this school year." he announced with a fake happy voice.

"That's fine with me." I replied.

Silence.

"He wants to talk to you right after class." he said in a low voice.

I sighed and glanced at him.  "Aaron, I...."

"You're a bit harsh... Don't you know that?  Why are you doing this to him?" he asked in annoyance.

"I'm sorry..."

"Don't say that to me.  Say that to him."

I slowly frowned as the memories came flashing back to me.

Chester was my so-called boyfriend last year.  He is a trainee for the high school basketball team and is a close friend and neighbor of Aaron.  Chester was also my classmate last year.  While we were dating, he introduced me to Aaron who also happened to be our school mate.  Even though there was nothing wrong with our relationship, I decided to cut off communication with Chester during the summer.  I decided that I was too young for such things and I wanted to focus more on my studies...  Chester wasn't worth it.  I can't risk my future for him.  I wanted to tell him these words before... but I just didn't have the courage to do it.  I wanted to tell him that it's not his fault... He was everything a girl could ever wish for but this is not the time.... and if ever our paths cross again in the future and he could wait, then maybe we could give it another try.

I shook my head in frustration.  I could never demand him to wait for me... cause I know the answer.  A lot of girls were already raising their eyebrows at me every time we were together.  I know they'd grab at the chance of him being single... and Chester, well... Chester is too nice to resist them.  Eventually, he'll fall in love again and give in.  I can't be sefish and demand for him to wait for me.  He deserves to be happy too.  But how can I tell all of these to him without making him angry or breaking his heart?  Would I really break his heart?  Was he really that serious with me?

"Stop thinking and do something about it!" Aaron interrupted me.

"I want to think."

"Stop over-thinking!... This is why I hate smart girls who are so full of themselves."

"What?!"

"Because you are dumb when it comes to love.  Chester doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.  You have no idea how much you're making it hard for him.... If you only knew."

"......................."

"I remember how he was late at an important basketball game because he heard that you were going home late.... He told his basketball coach that he had to walk you home since it's already dark.... and how he defended you from some girls who bullied you last year because of him.  He may look like a player but he wasn't playing when it comes to you.  I hope you remember that."

I coughed awkwardly.  "Are you still joining the shool choir this year?"

"F*ck! Stop changing the topic!"

I was about to respond when I noticed Jason entering the room.  During our first year of high school, Jason topped our level.  I was second over-all.  The teachers moved me to the Section A class for this year.  All honor students topping the previous year's level had to stay in one room.  Thus, Chester is no longer my classmate since he is in Section B for this year.  If you are in Section A, you are either one of the honor students or you enrolled early to enter the slot.