Chapter Forty

Seth's POV

"You're going to be okay." I said, carressing her cheek and pressing my forehead against her.

"I just want our baby safe." She said. Our. That word felt so good to hear. It made me feel like I was a part of their family now. It was no longer my baby. It was our baby now.

"You'll both be safe, all right?" I said, slightly pinching her cheek. "The baby will be out in no time. He'll be healthy and strong."

"He will." She forced a smile.

"And he'll be a handsome little man. I'm so excited to meet him."

"I'm excited too." She said in a low and slow voice. The general anesthesia they injected on her was starting to take effect. I kissed on the forehead and she shut her eyes.

"I love you." I said.

"Love you too..." She said in a whisper, almost inaudible.

And at that brief second, she lost conciousness. The doctor's asked me to leave the operating room. I waited in the hall outside the operating room. I couldn't sit still. There I was, pacing back and forth and back and forth. The whole time I felt like my heart was sinking to the pit of my stomach. My chest was racing and I was shaking like a fucking leaf. I silently prayed and hoped that Marian and the baby would get out of the operating room safe.

I called everyone I could call. From my friends to my parents. I needed someone to talk to, I needed some moral support. I talked to them and asked for their advice. They were all telling me to stay calm. My mother was shocked as she never knew Marian had been pregnant.

Two hours had past, which to me felt like eternity, when the doctor finally came out of the operating room.

"How's Marian?" I asked as soon as she stepped out of the operating room.

"The patient is still uncouncious, we'll have to wait 'til the general anesthesia wears off." She said. I was slightly relieved, like a weight had been lifted from my shoulder.

"Eh ang bata? Kamusta na?"

"It's a baby boy. He was born at exactly 11:26 in the evening, weighing 5lbs and 3 ounces. And he's a pretty big boy, malaki siya para sa isang premature baby."

I exhaled, feeling all the weight rise off me. I swear I got kind of teary eyed. I was just so glad they were both safe.

"Pwede ko ba silang makita?" I asked.

"Marian's in the recovery room, pwede mo siyang puntahan. Ang bata naman ay dinala sa NICU. He still needs to be incubated so we could regulate his temperature."

"But he'll be okay right?"

"They're running a few tests on him right now. You have nothing to worry about, it's just our protocol form premature babies." The doctor smiled before turning and leaving.

I went into the recovery room where I found Marian lying on the bed in her hospital gown. She was still unconcious just as the doctor said. I took her hand and brought it to my lips.

"Our baby's okay. The doctor said he's a big boy. Sabi ko naman sa'yo, magiging okay kayo ng baby. I won't let anything bad happen to the both of you." I interwind our fingers together and leaned in to kiss her on the lips.

I stayed there for more than half an hour, just watching her sleep and waiting for her to wake up. While I was sitting by her bed, a nurse came up to me and told me their were people waiting for me outside. Agad akong tumayo at lumabas muna sa recovery room.