Chapter 22

My vision was blurred, and my head throbbed. I took a few seconds to groan my complaint, before realising that I was awake. My head snapped up, and my adrenaline drowned out my headache. Trying to move my arms, I became aware of the rope that wrapped around my torso.

“How mundane.” I scowled, struggling to break

“She’s awake.” The voice was high and feminine, meaning there was a girl present, who apparently wasn’t alone, as she was alerting her partner- perhaps partners.

“Finally.” The response was deep, the voice itself smooth and calm.

“Let us go!” I turned my head, seeing Haru against a wall, tied up the same way as I was myself.

A woman entered my field of vision then, her hair cropped to her jaw, with two long locks cascading down from her lower layers, reaching her elbows in length and wrapped securely in bandages- to stop it from getting in her way, I assumed. The colour appeared back, but every now and again the light would catch and her hair shone blue.

She was small in height, and looked rather frail. Her eyes were sharp and her lips were a pretty pink, her nose small and cute. Her clothing was simple, a black tank top and grey tights, with a kunai pouch on the right leg.

Her skin wasn’t exactly pale, but it wasn’t exactly dark, either. Actually, it was rather blotchy. On her right shoulder, I noticed, was a long scar, which I assumed was permanent. As I scanned down, I noticed that she lacked shoes, and her feet were dirty. I had to resist a grimace at how dirty I soon noticed she was, as the blotches I’d noticed earlier was dirt sticking to her skin.

“Shut up.” The girl took hold of the front of Haru’s rope, and pulled him to his feet. “Sit over here.” She pushed him, her face remaining blank and she faced me and watched Haru fall to his knees heavily beside me.

“Are you alright?” I asked, watching the Uzumaki roll onto his back and grit his teeth.

“I’m just dandy.” I looked at the girl again, watching her approach. I got ready to be attacked, but she passed me, and instead went to the other wall, where Nion was.

“Wake up.” She nudged him with her foot, and he let out a small groan. “I said,” Her fists clenched, “get up!” Her left fist was brought down onto his head, and he fell to the side, my brother hitting the ground heavily. “GET UP.” She gave a kick to the stomach, “GET UP.” She grabbed his collar and gave him a solid punch to the face, a sickening crunch sounding through the room as the girl successfully broke his nose.

“Stop!” I demanded, trying to find my way to my feet to try and distract her. The girl’s head whipped to me, and her eyes narrowed into a glare. My own eyes hardened and my lips pulled back into a scowl, the tension in the air suffocating me, my pride the only thing keeping me from cracking under pressure.  

There was a low groan, and Nion awoke, instinctively coughing up the blood that had pooled in the back of his throat. The girl’s eyes never broke contact with my own as she pulled Nion to his feet and put her foot on his back, kicking him to join us.

Nion grunted as he fell to the ground, and I was the first to look away, opting to check if Nion was well enough to not die.

“You okay?” I whispered, Haru finally managing to sit up.

“Define okay.” I thought about it for a moment, before answering.

“Is your heart still beating and your lung still breathing.” Nion spat out more blood, before grinning at me, his teeth red.

“Then yeah, I guess I’m okay.” I nodded, before turning forward.

“What do you want-“ I was cut off as the girl’s foot flew to my face, my head cracking to the side as she kicked me.