Chapter 46: Anger management

Chapter 46:

Anger management

With the masses of Gondorian citizens gone, our Fellowship and the leaders of Middle Earth make to celebrating in the White Hall of Minas Tirith.  From afar, I can see Eomer and Denzel talking closely, naturally following their kiss at the Black Gate.  I am happy for this cousin's finding of love, almost mirroring that of Frodo and Cashel in the other corner of the room.  Then there is Legolas, Kili, and Ruelin who are currently partaking in a tense conversation on part of Ruelin's relationship.  And though I suspect the conversation to be particularly hilarious, I prevent myself from joining them.

Indeed, the whole situation seems fairly calm for the war and battle we just underwent.  The couples are naturally gathered together, though no one has paid particular attention to Boromir and myself as we converse easily with Eowyn and Faramir.  Aragorn and Arwen speak nearby, in conversation with Galadriel, Gandalf, and Lord Elrond.  I have long lost track of my parents' whereabouts, but that is quickly changed by the shouting of my father.

Looking to the door of the White Hall, I see my sister and Bilbo in close contact, obviously having been kissing moments before.  From my distance away, I cannot make out the words of either party, my father or the couple, and thus I make to moving closer.  Obviously, my father has discovered their relationship, seeing as both my mother and brother are attempting to prevent my father from pummeling Bilbo.  And though he is in immediate danger, Bilbo looks unfearful and strong as he holds Pyrhhin in his arms. Even I must admit that they are a cute couple.

"We're engaged," Bilbo says, his words finally clear at my closer distance.  This sends loud whispers and quiet quipping across the room, seeing as it is rude to keep such matters hidden.  But I understand why my sister and Bilbo hid their relationship, with the war going on and our focus elsewhere.  However, they could have done a better job of telling my parents in private.

I pay little attention to the following conversation, only acknowledging the fact that they are actually speaking.  Instead, I feel Boromir's tugging on my dress near my waist, seeing as he latched onto me as I moved closer to the scene.  Indeed, this was much like a child clinging to a mother in all fashions, but I will not point this out to my One.  Alternatively, I turn to him as his arm winds around my waist.

"How'll we tell father?" I ask the man, although I obviously know the better way to approach the situation.  Boromir has only seen my father once in this life before today, and that was at the Council of Elrond.  He does not know of my father's nasty temper, nor of his protective instincts over our family.

"Just tell him...he didn't react that harshly to Bilbo and Pyrhhin," Boromir proposes, pointing to the scene of my father hugging Bilbo.  I roll my eyes at the image and Boromir's idea, knowing that my father would die before being caught hugging Boromir.  Indeed, that would be a funny picture: a short king embracing a Gondorian knight around the waist.  And though I am against such happenings, it would be very funny to witness.

"Yes, but he's Bilbo," I respond, looking at the small hobbit.  This Shirefolk is one my father knows extremely well from both his own friendship with the hobbit to my mother's being best friends with Bilbo.  Spending six months a year in Erebor, I know Bilbo extraordinarily well; he is practically a family member.  Now, it will simply be in title.

"So?" Boromir questions, looking down at himself and towards Bilbo, as if comparing their features.  I raise an eyebrow at his obvious blindness, easily remembering the last time my father saw Boromir.  This man did not leave the best impression on any of us, especially my father, given Boromir's flirting with my mother.  Life in the Oakenshield family is never boring or normal.