12 | A Final Farewell to Biron Montgomery

After a full night's sleep I managed to emotionally collect myself and get ready to spend another long day at the hospital with my father since yesterday's time was mostly taken up by Mr. Forbes – my father's lawyer. Pulling on my favorite fuzzy and soft cardigan, I grab my purse that held pretty much all my belongings and headed downstairs to grab a quick breakfast.

When I reached the hospital, it was somewhat quiet – something that I found to be totally odd. As I walked passed the cafeteria, I saw the elevator doors close after a man dressed in a rather nice suit enter it. Picking up a slow jog with a piping hot coffee in my hand I call out to the stranger in hopes he'd hold the elevator for me. "Hold the elevator, sir!" Just as I get to the closing doors of the elevators, I breathe a sigh of relief when they open again. "Thank you." I say with a grateful smile on my face as I look at the man in the exquisitely tailored suit.

"Ah, we meet again." He smiles warmly at me.

"Indeed we do," I say as I lean forward to press the button for the floor my father was on.

"I'm Sebastian," he introduced himself.

I looked over at the fine specimen of a man who looked down at me with hypnotizing blue eyes. "Bailey," I return the gesture with a warm smile before feeling my phone vibrate in my purse. "I'm sorry, I should probably take this." I apologize to which he gestures for me to do so. "Hello?" I answer my phone just to be greeted with Mary Ellen's voice.

"Bailey, I'm glad I caught you!" she rushed. "Where are you right now?"

"I'm on my way up to the unit now. I'm one floor away." I state as the elevator doors open to allow a few nurses on.

"Okay, listen to me. Don't come to see your father just yet."

My eyebrows furrow together in confusion at her words. "What are you talking about? Is my father okay? What's going on?" I question as I step off of the elevator, Sebastian still at my side as I approach the hospice unit.

"Bailey, your stepmother and stepsisters are here." She says almost barely audible I had to plug my other ear to hear her.

"Wait, what?" I ask just in time to be roughly bumped into causing me to stumble sideways just to be caught by Sebastian. "I'm so sorry, I didn't see..." I look up at the other body I ran into and my mouth went dry. "You."

"Well, well, well," she sneered. "Look who finally decided to come home."

I straightened myself up, rolling my shoulders back showing my wicked witch of a stepmother that I wasn't the meek little girl who ran away from a little confrontation.

"I'm glad to see you're still the frigid bitch I left when I left for school seven years ago." I smirk when I see her face contort into a look of disdain. "I see your daughters still haven't been weaned off your teat yet, have they?"

"You ungrateful, spoiled, little bitch." She seethed between her teeth just as Mary Ellen and Mr. Forbes came over to break up our little powwow.

"That is enough," Mary Ellen spoke as she ushered me toward the nurses' station. "You have had your time with your husband and now it's time that Bailey gets her time with her father."

"Fine, I'm done here anyway." She huffs, strutting off in her sky-high Louboutin stilettos with her daughters in tow.

"Bailey, you know better." Mary Ellen chastised me.

"I'm sorry," I sincerely apologize. "She just gets under my skin so easily – it's honestly infuriating how self-righteous she is. It's like she's proud to have accomplished nothing in her life and just live off of someone else's hard-earned paycheck."