11 | Hospital Visits with Biron Montgomery

"Hey, so I know you're phone I off right now, but I just wanted to let you know that I just got to your apartment. If you're absolutely sure, I'm going to start packing up your apartment. Call me when you get settled in. Love you!"

I smiled hanging up the voicemail as I got situated into the hotel room where I would be staying in for the next week. Despite my father's house being so close to the hospital, there was no way I would be staying in the same house as my stepmother and her two daughters.

"Bai, how was your flight? Did you get settled in okay? How's your family?"

I laughed lightly at Danielle's rapid fire questioning. "Whoa Dani," I interject. "The flight was good. I just set my stuff down in the hotel and I'm actually on my way to the hospital now."

"Okay, well everything's taken care o here. Hey, do you mind if I stay at your place?"

"You know you never have to ask."

"Thanks babe,"

"Hey, I got to go. My ride's sitting outside, but I'll keep you posted."

"Alright, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye Dani,"

Slipping my phone into the pocket of my jeans as I walked out of the hotel and outside where the taxi I called for was parked.

"Where to, miss?" the driver asks.

Giving him the name of the hospital, I settle back into the leather interior of the ar. The ride was rather silent aside from the humming of the tires against the road and the low volume of the radio. Looking out the window, I watched as the New York City skyline came into view. Eight year since I've been home and there was no sight more beautiful than the bright lights of the city that never sleeps.

"Alright miss," the driver pulls up outside the hospital. "We're here."

"Thank you," I said fishing the cab fare out of my pocket. "Keep the change."

"Have a nice night." He smiled.

Returning the gesture, I smiled back. "You too."

The sun was low in the sky, painting the sky with vibrant pinks, oranges, and purples. Wrapping the soft fabric of my cardigan around my body, I walk into the hospital and toward the information desk where the elderly volunteer sitting behind the desk directed me to the elevators.

Going up five floors I walk off the elevator, the fluorescent lighting and the smell of formaldehyde made me feel like I was in some sort of alternate state. It was like I wasn't really awake, but rather I was experiencing a bad dream.

Walking the floor of the hospice unit, I look around and notice for the first time how eerily quiet it was. I stood at the nurse's station patiently waiting for a nurse to stop and offer their assistance.

"Excuse me, miss. Visiting hours are over unless you –"

I turn around when I hear the harsh tone of a woman behind me. When my eyes land on the cold features of the middle-aged women I watched as her eyes grew wide and her features softened.

"Rosalie –" she blinked her eyes hard and shook her head. "Bailey? Is that really you?"

"Mary Ellen," I smiled at the woman who was like a second mother to me. "I can't believe you're still working here." I embrace her into a hug feeling like there was still a piece of my mother still around.

"My god," she gasped. "You're an absolute spitting image of your mother."

"Like mother, like daughter." I smiled weakly. "Hey, do you know where I can find the head nurse? I was hoping I could see my dad."