Chapter 27

"Rock, paper and scissors on who talks to him." Nolan said with an awkward chuckle.

Ryan shot him a glare and then turned his head back to his friend. Slade found refuge deep in the woods, far away from everyone. He hated to see him that way. Hated seeing him hunched over with his head in his hands. Like everything was over.

He couldn't blame him, though. Slade was in no position to keep up the Alpha act. Ryan and Nolan already knew that the moment Nine was kidnapped, Slade was just hanging on. Their friend was forced to be strong for the pack.

He could not be selfish. Not when so many other lives depended on his guidance. It made Ryan appreciate his position as Beta. There was no way he could stay sane Tori was gone. The craving for her and constant thought of his mate would drive him mad.

But for Slade...now he faced the consequence.

"He really believed in her, didn't he?" Nolan said as he stared at his Alpha solemnly.

Ryan sighed. "He did. We all believed in Nine." He couldn't help but let out a short laugh. "Nine was the strongest of us all. She was the perfect match for Slade. You know, I was truly proud to be under their command. To follow our Alpha and Luna – I truly felt we could become better with them leading us. But now-"

"Don't."

Nolan abruptly cut in and equally shutting Ryan's depressing speech. The Beta was stunned when he turned to look at the Omega.

His eyes were burning intensely as he gazed at the Beta.

"Don't talk about Nine as if she is dead. Don't talk about Slade as if he cannot be our Alpha anymore." Nolan said seriously.

Ryan stuttered in shock and then clenched his teeth in silent frustration. His fists curled tightly and shoulders hunched.

"Sorry. I-I just hate how helpless we are! Our Alpha and Luna are in trouble and yet we can do nothing!" He growled out. Ryan flinched when Nolan placed a hand on his shoulder as if he forgot he was there.

This was where Nolan played his role as the Omega. The one that kept the peace. The one that brought hope even in the darkest of times.

"It's not over yet." He squeezed Ryan's shoulder and kept a steady gaze. "We'll keep fighting until the end. Don't give up, don't stop moving. Otherwise we'll all die."

That felt like a punch in the gut. Ryan took a deep breath and nodded in thanks to Nolan.

"Do you think he is calm enough?" asked, Nolan while staring at Slade who seemed motionless. Lighting rubbing the bump at the back of his head, Nolan winced at the memory of Slade going berserk. Something set him off but it was clear that Slade could no longer control himself as he thrashed out at everyone that got close to him. Many of the warriors had to aid to bring him down.

Nolan and a few other warriors were not as lucky, as Slade clearly sent them flying across the room. The force broke a few bones and created a lot of bruising and bumps. The surveillance room was almost destroyed. Thankfully Slade's wolf stepped in.

Though it was sad to think that even Slade's wolf gave up on his mate.

"Let's just go." Ryan said, breaking the Omegas thoughts. "We still have to report the news to Slade. No point in wasting time."

Together the pair walked towards their glum friend. Sitting on either side of Slade, the two looked at each other and with their eyes they silently communicated on who would speak first.

The dejected sigh that left Slade's lips caused Ryan and Nolan to freeze.

"What?" Voice unrecognizable and blank, Slade dropped his hands and just stared at the ground. His normally bright green eyes were so dark, it was as if there wasn't even a soul in the body.