26: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing."

Chapter 26 - "Hindsight is a wonderful thing."

**This chapter is dedicated to lovesickanddelirious for not only leaving me such a lovely, long comment, but also responding again with another long comment when I replied to her! It always means a lot when readers take the time to comment on my stories, and she seems to understand my characters well, which is exactly what I'd want!**

"Izzy?" 

As I stepped off the bus, I heard Jack call my name. Turning around, I saw him jogging up to me, pulling his headphones out of his ears.  

"Hey," I said. "Morning jog?" 

He nodded, bending off and supporting his weight on his knees as he fought to catch his breath back.  

"Yeah," he panted. "I'm trying to get my fitness back up." 

"Bit early in the morning, isn't it?" I commented.  

He straightened up at that, frowning. "You're one to talk. Where've you been at this time in the morning?" Then his face fell. "Oh...please don't tell me this is to do with Nathan..." 

I shrugged. "I thought things were getting better...now I'm not so sure." 

"Have you just come from there now?" 

I nodded. "Yeah. I'd have come back last night but the weather was awful so he told me to stay over." 

"Did anything...you know...happen?" Jack asked hesitantly, raising an eyebrow.  

I shrugged. "Not important. Our problem isn't solved. That's the important thing. And this one problem is now causing lots of other problems-" 

"Izzy," he interrupted. "I'm gonna be blunt with you. You need to suck it up and apologize." 

"But it's not my fault-" 

"It doesn't matter whose fault it is," he said firmly. "You've both had a part to play in it and the fact you're both being stubborn is the reason that you're not solving anything. Be the bigger person and apologize. Make a peace offering. I haven't known either of you long but your love for each other is obvious to the world. One of you needs to make the first move and then I guarantee that everything will fall into place." 

He then jerked his head in the direction of our halls and we set off across the road to get home.  

"We never argue," I said quietly as we made our way past all the other blocks in our residence. 

"Exactly. And maybe that's part of the issue. You're not used to arguing and so it's ten times worse when it does happen. And I, for one, am sick to death of it." 

"Excuse me?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow as I looked across at him.  

"Sorry but it's true. I'm sick to death of you moping around. I'm sick to death of you going out to solve a problem but then coming back with another one. It's pointless. You love each other so just sort it out, alright?" 

"Jesus..." I murmured to myself.  

"Izzy, we're not in a soap opera. You don't need to keep creating more drama-" 

"I get it, Jack," I interrupted. "Sort it out. I've got it. I'll call him later. Thanks for your input..." 

"Well somebody needs to say it how it is." 

"Yeah and you did that perfectly," I muttered.  

"Thank you." 

I narrowed my eyes but didn't say anything. Jack was right. This was going on far too long. As we arrived at our block, Jack punched in the code to unlock the main door, and then held it open for me to walk through first.