15: "Trust me."

Chapter 15 - "Trust me."

**Sexual content in this chapter**

I didn’t go out and buy sexy underwear, but I did put a matching set on, just in case. I highly doubted that Nathan and I would be having sex tonight but it was always best to prepare. Even though sex was the ultimate expression of love for us, and our anniversary was all about the romance, I couldn’t see us having the time.

“That’s a nice dress,” Jack complimented me as he strolled into my room. “It’s a shame that it’s gonna end up being thrown carelessly onto Nathan’s bedroom floor.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” I said softly, twisting in the mirror to check the back of the dress. “Nathan always removes my clothes with the utmost care.”

Jack snorted with laughter, but I knew he appreciated me returning the banter. “You look good, Izzy.”

“Thanks,” I said, shooting him a grateful smile. “It’s always such pressure to dress up for occasions like this.”

“I’m sure he’ll think you look good in whatever you wear,” Jack told me. I waited for the inevitable comment about him preferring me out of clothes, but it didn’t come.

“What are your plans for tonight?” I asked him, as I started to shove items into my bag. The bag was too big for evening use really, but it went perfectly with this dress. Besides, Nathan was a boy so he probably wouldn’t even notice.

“I’m gonna rest so that I’m fully energized for our social tomorrow night!” he grinned. “I’m so excited, Izzy. Are you excited?”

“Yeah,” I said, my voice not portraying any excitement whatsoever.

“It’s gonna be so fun! Come on! Lighten up!”

“What if I get tied to a loser?” I muttered. “Or someone really awkward? What if they hit on me?”

Jack rolled his eyes. “I’ll keep my eye on you. If they look like a sleaze then we’ll swap partners, alright?”

That was sweet of him though I was curious to find out if he’d keep to that promise if he ended up with a really hot girl.

“Thanks,” I mumbled.

“Now go out with Nathan and have a nice evening, okay?” he smiled encouragingly. “Oh, wait! I almost forgot!”

He turned and dashed out of my room and I heard his footsteps descend down the corridor and into his own room. Sighing to myself, I left my room and pulled my door shut, locking it. I needed to make a move else I’d miss the bus.

“Here,” Jack said, reappearing suddenly with a card in his hand.

I took it from him slowly, twisting it over to read the writing.

-To Nathan & Isobel

“Ah, Jack,” I smiled, leaning to hug him. “That’s so sweet! Thank you.”

He smiled and shrugged modestly. “Well, Nathan and I are tight. And you’re my flatmate. It’d be rude not to.”

“Ooh, Izzy, are you leaving?” Hayley asked, sticking her head out from inside her room. “I got you something too!”

Another card? That would be really thoughtful of Hayley…

She emerged from her room carrying a bag, and upon closer inspection, I realised it was an Ann Summers bag. “Here. Happy anniversary!” she beamed, shoving the bag at me.

“Hayley, I told you that I don’t need underwear…”

“Oh it’s not underwear,” she smiled.