7: "How's the head?"

Chapter 7 - "How's the head?"

"Morning, Sunshine," Jack grinned at me when I walked into the kitchen later on that morning. He was sitting down at the table, eating cereal.

"Morning," I replied, heading to the fridge and pulling out some sausages and bacon.

"How's the head?" he asked me, still grinning.

"Absolutely fine," I told him. "It turns out that Nathan is a pro at preventing hangovers."

Jack laughed. "What you cooking?"

"Brunch. Full English."

I turned on the hob and then tossed the sausage into the frying pan, waiting for it to heat up.

"Oh, is that your romantic touch that you were wondering about?" he asked.

"No. This is just me cooking brunch whilst he's in the shower."

"He's in the shower and you haven't joined him. Wow, you're such a poor host. And after all that he did for you last night..."

I rolled my eyes. "At least I'm cooking for him."

"True. They do say that the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

"Really? I thought you said it was through sex?"

Jack laughed. "Did that not work or something?"

I smirked back. "I've already got his heart. I'm just trying to keep it now."

"I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job," he assured me, standing up and proceeding to carry his bowl over to the sink. Luckily Jack was a tidy person, and I watched him wash up his bowl and spoon before putting them neatly back into his cupboard. Then he wandered over to inspect what I was doing.

"So what are you making for brunch then?"

"Bacon, sausage and egg."

"But you're only cooking the sausage..."

"Yeah, I do it one at a time."

"Oh, Izzy..." he sighed, shaking his head. He picked up my bacon and tossed it into the pan. Immediately it sizzled, letting off smoke and curling at the edges.

"Jack!" I gasped, leaning away from the smoke.

"Life's too short," he told me. "Cook it all in one pan. It'll be fine. And much quicker."

"I prefer doing it my way," I argued back. "Then I'm fully in control."

"University is about stepping out of your comfort zones. With a little help from me you'll soon be on your way to becoming a top chef."

"Hmm," I frowned, rolling some of the sausages over. "We'll see about that."

"So, did you have a good night?" he asked me, pushing himself up onto a counter.

"Nathan took me home early because I was so drunk," I muttered, embarrassed.

He laughed. "And there we all were, thinking that you were going home early for a bit of sexy-time."

I blushed slightly, remembering how I'd been trying desperately to sleep with Nathan before realizing that I'd completely misunderstood his intention of coming home early.

"No," I said. "I think I pretty much passed out as soon as I got into bed." I wasn't about to mention how I'd fallen asleep on the floor whilst trying to get changed...

"You're such a lightweight," he teased. "But, don't worry; I'm sure that university will increase your alcohol tolerance levels."

"That is why I'm here, after all..."