29: "We're an endangered species."

Chapter 29 - "We're an endangered species."

[[Sexual content in this chapter]]

**This chapter is dedicated to lostsoulforever for being so appreciative; people like you make writing worthwhile**

There was something about Christmas that just made me instantly happy. Everyone seemed happier once the festive period started to approach, and Jack had taken it upon himself to be chief decorator of the flat.  

"Is all this really necessary?" Hayley asked him as she held his chair still whilst Jack pinned some tinsel above the door.  

"Of course it's necessary!" he insisted. "Christmas comes but once a year, Hayley!" 

"It's barely even December," she shot back.  

"Oh don't be a scrooge," Gemma teased.  

"Hey, I'm all for a bit of festive joy, but I'm finding it hard to justify putting up decorations before December." 

"I'm sure there are lots of things you find hard to justify," Jack murmured under his breath. "Izzy, can you pass me that mistletoe, please?" 

I glanced around for the mistletoe, and saw it resting on top of Jack's laptop lid. Reaching across, I grabbed it and handed it over.  

"Strategic," Hayley then commented.  

"What now?" Jack asked, with slight disinterest. He was balancing on one foot whilst trying to hook the mistletoe over the smoke alarm.  

"It's strategic for you to place the mistletoe there, right by your room, where you've got every chance of cornering one of us when we get into the flat." 

"Haha, trust me, Hayley, you needn't worry about that..." 

I smiled to myself, but I think Hayley failed to grasp the true meaning of Jack's words. She shook her head but didn't let go of the chair. Things had calmed down significantly during the last few weeks. The incident with Hayley in the kitchen was far from forgotten, but we'd all moved past it. It was almost as if we needed to have that confrontation in order to get everything out in the open. I was by no means pals with her, her and Gemma continued to be joined at the hip, but there was less awkwardness. We knew where we stood with each other.  

Louisa and I had met up a couple more times since our first drinks together, but needless to say neither of us had consumed as much alcohol as we'd done that first night. As for Nathan, things were great with him. We were still seeing each other regularly, but work was starting to get busy for him.  

As if he'd read my mind, Jack spoke up.  

"So is Nathan coming round this weekend?" he asked.  

"No," I replied. "I'm going to his." 

Jack let out a dissatisfied moan. "It's been ages since I last saw him!" 

"I know, he was due to come this weekend, but his work is crazy at the moment because of the Christmas deadlines, so he wants to stay at his place so he has access to his computer in case of anything urgent comes up." 

"Yeah, I get that," Jack conceded. "Tell him that he needs to come on the Christmas night out though!" 

"Sure thing," I promised.  

My phone vibrated from inside my jeans pocket, and I pulled it out, already guessing who it would be. Sure enough, it was Pedro.  

- Still okay for 4?