Chapter 7: What Did I Do Wrong?

Dean woke up to his alarm, a smile forming on his face when memories from the night before came flooding back. If he thought about it hard enough, he could still feel the warm, soft lips of Castiel on his cheek. He unconsciously brought his hand to the said place, but snapped out of it quickly. Dean shook his head, this boy was already 24/7 on his mind. And although Dean didn't mind that very much, there was a bitter thought behind it.

Dean was going to break Castiel's heart, sooner or later. He wasn't going to stay in this high school or even this town forever. They will leave in what two weeks? It still felt bad to hurt Castiel's feelings, but Dean just couldn't stay away. With Castiel he felt so... different. Like he didn't always need his guard up or pretend to be someone he was not. Of course he couldn't tell Cas about his hunting life, that would put Cas in danger. And knowing John's temper, it would put Dean in danger too.

Dean wished he could tell him, however, he already knew how this was going to play out. Castiel would either leave him, call him a freak or wouldn't believe him. Dean couldn't figure out which one was the worst that could happen. Maybe a combination of all three.

Despite his doubts and fears, Dean tried to think of the good stuff. Maybe they would run away together and buy a hidden cabin in the woods. Maybe they could move to another country, where his dad could never find him. Dean tried to see everything the positive way, he wasn't going to let his doubts ruin his day. Besides, he was going to see Cas again in less than an hour. That counted for something.

He was already whipped.

After Dean did his daily routine of showering, dressing and brushing his teeth, he finally made his way into the living room. He easily spotted his grumpy little brother, eating a delicious looking sandwich. Dean's mouth watered at the sight.

"Hey Sammy, make one for me will you?"

"If you let me choose the music on our way to school, sure." Sam smirked.

"Never mind." Dean mumbled sourly, now he had to make his own breakfast. Dean walked over to the fridge and took out the stuff he needed to make his sandwich. While he was busy making one, Sam annoyed him with questions like only a younger sibling could.

"So you and Cas huh?" Sam nonchalantly said, after taking another bite of his sandwich.

"What about us?" Dean groaned, already knowing where this was heading.

"Are you in love with him?" Sam asked, laughing when he saw Dean dropping his knife in surprise.

"SAM" Dean screamed, his cheeks heating up. Truth is, he didn't know. Sure, he liked the guy and yes, he definitely felt butterflies the moment Cas kissed his cheeks, but was he in love? Or is it just a mere crush? How was he supposed to know when he never had been in love before?

Sam was silent after Dean's outburst, giving him time to think about this. Sam would love to see Dean truly happy for a change, and somehow Castiel helped him with that. Dean was the brooding type, incapable of happiness with his type of life. Sam wanted to get out of hunting, once he was old enough to leave and never come back. However, his brother was a whole other story. Dean was loyal to their father, no matter what happened. Their father could throw Dean around and he would always go back to him. It made Sam feel uneasy. Sam hoped Cas was the person to change all of that, to make Dean realize what kind of life he could lead. And then they could run away, leave their present life forever, to never return.

*****

Castiel spotted Dean easily, even though the hall was crowded. It seemed like all attention was drawn to Dean's freckled face and mesmerizing green eyes. It's not like Castiel blamed them, although he couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy when he saw Lisa biting her bottom lip while looking at him. Of course Dean, the massive flirt that he is, winked at her with a sly grin on his face.

Has he forgotten yesterday already? Was it a bad move to kiss him? Castiel thought whilst panicking. He was already on edge today as he saw the date on the calendar this morning. They had their presentation tomorrow and Castiel had to get a good grade, his parent are counting on it.

Castiel moved through the sea of students, trying to get closer to Dean. It felt like it was impossible, there were students everywhere and Castiel was getting light headed. He never liked being in large crowds, it felt like he couldn't breathe. All he could see was student everywhere with no possible escape. He pushed some people away and slipped through every gap he could find. Castiel eventually managed to get through the people, but tripped when he got out.

Well, almost tripped.

If it wasn't for two strong arms around his waist, holding him up. Castiel was hugged to the firm chest of his savior and felt his breath on his neck.

"Don't fall." His huskily breathed in his ear, making tiny shivers run down his back. Castiel felt a tiny blush on his cheeks. He awkwardly tried to find his footing and once he placed his feet firmly on the ground, he turned around. Of course Dean would be the one to save him. Unfortunately Castiel blushed even harder when he looked at the arms that held him up a few seconds ago. You could see the muscles, clear through his tight shirt.

Oh, how he would love to run his hands over them.

But he couldn't think like that. Dean flirted with Lisa. The Lisa. He wasn't going to be able to compete with her. She's beautiful, he could tell even though he is gay.

"Are you okay?" Dean asked kindly, holding his hand out in case Castiel was going to fall again. Castiel thought he saw a hint of worry in his eyes, but he probably just imagined it.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Listen, we are behind on our project and we have the presentations tomorrow. We are not going to be able to finish it in time. What are we going to do?" Castiel asked anxiously. He can't afford a bad grade. He was a straight A student and his parents expected nothing less.

"Dude, chill, we just have to pull an all-nighter. My place after school?" Dean smiled. Not minding the time he had to spend with Castiel.

"Okay, sounds like a plan."

*****

School went by slowly, maybe because Dean couldn't wait for it to be over. Every minute was a minute closer to Castiel's company, which he enjoyed greatly. However, Dean was also a bit worried. Castiel seemed very distant compared to last night when he kissed him. Maybe he regretted kissing him, even though it was only on the cheek. Dean thought the date went well. He shared classes with Castiel, but Cas barely talked to him. Only focusing on the board, ignoring him when he said something. The one time Cas did face him, he told Dean to be quiet because he was "paying attention", although Dean knew it was a lie. He had an absent look on his face, like he was daydreaming all the time. Even during lunch, he wouldn't speak, just staring at his plate and playing with his food.

Finally the bell rang and his last class was over. He didn't share this one with Cas so he decided to wait for him by the entrance. Dean strolled to the exit, knowing Cas well enough to know that he was stopping by his locker first.

Castiel showed up after a few minutes of waiting, only nodding at Dean before following him to his car.

This was going to be a long night.