Chapter 25: Middle of the Lake

Chapter 25

Middle of the Lake

The general held on tightly to my hand as we walked out of the hut. The entire village with warriors and elders lined the front of the gathering stood along the incline. My father had his arm folded and looked ready to throttle Tobias. 

I sank into my beloved’s side. “Toby, I-I….”

“It’s fine.” He gave me a smile. “I get the same looks from parliament all the time. No big deal.” With his arm around my shoulder, he led me over to my father.

“What have you done, Raja?” he stated. 

Azuka stood behind him with a spear in hand. 

I bowed my head. “I-I love hi-”

“Quiet! I don’t want to hear it.”

“Father?” Leaving Tobias’s side, I touched my dad’s arm. 

He shook his head at me. “It’s done.” Quickly pulling me to him, he glared at the general. “Hurt my son, and beloved or not, I will see you killed.”

Tobias grabbed my arm and pulled me back to him. “He’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

My father kept ahold of my wrist. “Well until you can properly provide for my son, he’ll be living with me.” He yanked me toward him.

“As his beloved or whatever, I think that’s for me to decided.” Tobias jerked me back. “I’ve know that much about your kind.”

“That might be true, but as his father I have to see he is properly provided for, and you have yet to meet the requirements. So,” He pulled me hard back and shoved me behind him. “Raja will be living with me.

Tobias cocked his head. “What’s he getting at Raja?”

I bit my lip. “Well a house. You need a hut of your own before you can be the head of a family.”

“Exactly,” said my father. “Until you build one that is good enough to house my son, he’ll be staying with me.”

Tobias raised an eyebrow. “Fine. I’ll start on one tomorrow. Sounds simple enough.”

My father turned the crowd. “I understand your concern allowing one of those creatures living among us. Many of you have lost family members to the demons, but Raja has chosen, and by the laws of our people, we must honor it and allow him to love who he may. Even if it is a demon.” He shot a glare at Tobias. “To up hold the honor of our ancestors, any acts of violence against him will be punished according to our laws.” He glanced at my eldest brother for a moment. “I think it is best if we all leave the demon alone and ignore him to the best of our ability. Go now, back to your homes and try to live like this stranger never invaded our village.” My father tried to led me away but I pulled back.

“I need to help Tobias with his wounds.”

My dad kept a firm grip on me. “That creature is fine. Come home.”

“He’s my beloved.” I yanked my arm free. “I need to help him.”

“Raja,” said my father firmly.

“I swear I will return home tonight and sleep there.”

“You will eat dinner tonight with us.”

I nodded. “I’ll be there.”

After looking one more to Tobias, he turned his back to us and marched up the hill with the others.