Chapter one No

Three years later

Chapter one

No

I couldn’t help but smile at the sound of my arrow striking the center of the target. I heard voices from the village as the warriors began to gathering. I grabbed my arrow and raced back to the huts. I spotted Zev gathering his things for the hunt. “Zev!”

He grabbed me as I ran into his arms. I know today was going to be it. I just had a feeling he was going to say yes. 

“Good morning, Raja,” he laughed and took my bow and quiver from me. He set them to the side. “Where have you been?”

“I’ve been down by the lake, practicing. I getting pretty good.” Bitting my lip, I glanced up at him and took a deep breath.

“No.”

My face fell. He hadn’t even know what I was going to say.

“But-”

“The answer is no.” He fit his knife into his belt. “I told you before, I don’t have a problem with you knowing how to protected yourself. I want you to be able to, but anything farther than that isn’t necessary.”

My shoulders sagged, and my head dropped. “I thought maybe because I’m eighteen now, you’d let me.” I peeked up at him. “I’m not a child anymore.”

“Doesn’t matter how old you get. It’s too dangerous.”

“But Zev, I promise to stay out of the way.”

“No.” He waved to the warriors waiting nearby. “I’ll be back in a minute.” He grabbed my arm and led me into his hut. 

With my head hung low, I obediently followed him inside and flopped down on a pile of hides. I didn’t feel like being lecture, especially not by my lover. My father and brothers did enough of that themselves. 

Zev knelt in front of me and grabbed my hands. “Do you remember two years ago during your coming of age?”

I let out a sigh. “I pledged myself to you.”

“Yes,” he leaned forward and kissed my cheek. “And you become my beloved Raja.” 

He ran his fingers through my long black hair. It had never been cut since the day I agreed to enter a relationship with Zev, as a symbol that I was his beloved. “Aren’t you happy with me?”

“Of course,” I exclaimed. “I just want to help.”

“You do help.”

I peeked up at him and pulled my knees to my chest. “I’m not a women, so I don’t cook or clean. I can’t go hunting with you. I just get stuck with minimal tasks.”

He grabbed my chin. “That’s helping Raja.”

I nodded and picked at the hide I was sitting on. “I hoped at least we could be together,” I bit my lip. “Officially, by now.”

“You know why we have to wait.” He stood and help me up. “Soon Raja, and then you can come here and live with me. But for now, you need to listen.” Zev kissed me gently on the lips before taking me back outside. He picked up his spear. “Stay in the village, while I’m away. Alright?”

“Alright.” I fell into his arm and hugged him.

“We’ll do something when I return. Just the two of us, okay?”

“Kay,” I whispered, before separating. “Bye.”

With a wave, he left with the others men. As soon as they were out of sight, I picked up a rocks and chucked at the tree-line. I hated being left behind. Boys younger than me were allowed to go, but then again, they pledged their service to the tribe, and not a man.