CHAPTER 47 | still waters run deep

📎A/N. Happy New Year!!! Thanks for your patience while I was away on my Christmas break. I am now back and ready for 2016 ... well, almost. 

I hope you enjoy the chapter.

❤ ℳ 

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

After what seemed an eternity and making sure they were no longer being followed, the fleeing group made their way back to where they had left their vehicles. When Kaitlyn saw only Tim's was sitting in the carpark, the tension that had been building lessened a fraction.

"Please let them have gotten away!" she whispered.

Murphy's missing Escalade could mean one of two things. Molly had reached the extraction point and taken her mother to safety, or she had returned only to be captured. Kaitlyn glanced around the small rest area to ensure there were no other travellers who had stopped on their route. Satisfied they were alone and sheltered from prying eyes from the main road, she made her way towards Tim's car. As she drew closer, she noticed a slip of paper carefully placed under the passenger side wipers.

Kaitlyn retrieved the note and frowned when she realised she was unable to read the neatly written words.

"What is it?" Murphy asked as he came up behind her. He had returned to his human form and was now fully clothed.

Kaitlyn handed him the note. "I'm not sure. It's in a foreign language."

As Murphy scanned the contents, Kaitlyn took her first proper look at him since they had fled the Mafia fortress. She was shocked at the amount of blood, cuts and bruises that covered his exposed arms, neck and face.

Before she could voice her concern at his appearance, Murphy informed her the missive was written in Gaelic. "It's from my mother. She's taking your mom to a hospital nearer the city," he paused and read further before continuing aloud. "She's transferred all the clothes and bags to Tim's car in case we need it..." Murphy trailed off as his brows knitted together.

"What is it?" Kaitlyn said, noticing his confused expression. "Is my mom okay?"

Murphy looked up from the paper with a bewildered expression. "She said to tell you when she told Madeline she was her fairy godmother; your mom asked why she didn't have a wand."

The taut rubber band that had been building for some time snapped and Kaitlyn burst out into a fit of giggles which quickly escalated to laughter, including a couple of nervous snorts. For Molly to have written the note meant that there was a real chance they had gotten away. She pulled out her phone and found Molly's number. Kaitlyn almost forgot to breathe as she waited for the phone to be answered.

Kaitlyn's exhale escaped as a small sob when she heard Molly's voice. "Is it over?"

"How's my mom?" Kaitlyn asked after reassuring Molly that they had everything under control.

"She's fine," Molly replied. "Madeline's in with the doctors now. They have her bandaged and she's been treated for any possible infections or other complications. They've run tests and are waiting for the results," she paused. Molly's sudden change in tone put Kaitlyn on high alert. "We have a problem though. They have phoned the local police and they are on their way in to question her. What do you want me to do?"

Kaitlyn grimaced. She knew that this would be a possibility. "If they get there before me, make sure mom doesn't speak to them till I get there.

"Tim will drive you to the hospital," Murphy said the moment she ended the call.

"Won't you need it?"

Murphy shook his head. "Once he drops you off he'll come back for us."

"What about the other's?" Kaitlyn asked, referring to the mafia Werewolves.