CHAPTER 8 | ghosts of christmas past

📎A/N.  Hello my lovelies and welcome to another weekend.  I hope you are all safe and well.

Since I last mentioned which counties our fellow Buried readers are coming from, we have been joined by : Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Namibia, Tanzania, Kenya, Thailand, Japan and Vanuatu.

Welcome to you all and I hope you are enjoying the journey thus far :-)

... Well a few of you hazarded a guess at who was at the door - and thought it was her father.  @Porter-Fuzz1218  pointed out that I usually have an odd twist.  You will just have to read on to work out who was closer with their guesses ;-)

Don't forget to vote to show your support.  It's really easy - just click the star. Remember, each vote lets me know that someone is enjoying my story and really makes my day.

Take care and enjoy the chapter :)

❤ ℳ

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Kaitlyn was dumbfounded. Very little had shocked her over the years. But within a short span of time her understanding of the world had been shattered not once, but twice.

She continued to stare at the unexpected arrival standing in her doorway. His expressive grey eyes both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. A warm smile with a hint of apprehension was attempting to lessen the shock.

"I guess from your expression, you know who I am?" he said.

Kaitlyn continued to be rooted to the spot, unblinking, absorbing the situation that could not possibly be happening. A movement from behind the man caught her eye, and she realised that the new arrival was not alone.

Standing a short way off was the person she had been expecting.

Her lungs, unable to survive much longer without air, forced her to breath out in a rush. Blood began to circulate throughout her body and colour returned to her face.

"I need a drink," Kaitlyn mumbled. She turned and headed towards the kitchen, leaving the two men standing in the hallway a baffled look tossed between them.

Reaching for a glass and a bottle, Kaitlyn's hands were shaking enough to hamper the ability to uncork the wine.

The bottle opener was gently removed from her hand. "Here, let me," said Murphy as he pushed her out of the way.

Turning to face the third occupant who had, by now, entered her apartment. Kaitlyn watched as he wandered the living area picking up and studying some of the photos which were lying around.

She closed her eyes and turned back to face O'Neill. Her breathing becoming erratic, almost threatening to reach hyperventilation state. She was not ready to face the third person just yet.

"Here," Murphy said as he handed her the alcohol.

Grabbing the offering, she consumed the entire contents in one long gulp. After placing the glass back down on the counter she once again closed her eyes. Opening them, Kaitlyn looked straight at Murphy who was already pouring her a second glass.

"Is he still here?" she whispered to her new partner, who right now, was the only thing keeping her sane.

"Yes, he is," came the reply from somewhere behind her.

Not able to put off the inevitable any longer, she took another deep breath and slowly turned.

O'Neill materialised beside her and gently guided her across the room. "I think you had better sit," he murmured. His voice devoid of the usual briskness she was used to.