16:: A Twist On Twister

My ears still hadn’t gotten used to blasting music even over all of these years. They still made me wince when I got too close to the speakers that were blasting the music out and into the house. Grinding and basically dry humping was going on all around me, but I learned to ignore it over the years. This wasn’t my first party and I knew it wouldn’t be my last. I was quite an expert at partying having gone to my first party when I was only 14 years old. I didn’t drink or anything, but I danced and got to know all of the people older than me.

I wasn’t the most popular girl at my old school, but I was okay. I just fit in, having friends from every social group. It was probably around my sixth or seventh party when I met him. I didn’t want to think about it at the moment, but the memory flashed through my mind.

“Hayden!” My friend Zac called. I smiled and danced over to him.

“What?” I yelled over the loud music, dancing with some guy I had met at the last party, I think he was in college though.

“I want you to meet someone.” Zac informed me, also yelling over the blaring music. I nodded, turning back to the guy in front of me. He frowned.

“Gotta leave?” He asked. I nodded.

“I’ll find you before I go though.” I promised him, winking. He smiled and nodded, turning to dance with a few other people.

“This way.” Zac told me, grabbing onto my elbow and pulling me through the crowd of people.

“They better be worth it. I was dancing with Franky.” I said, frowning a bit.

I wasn’t the person now that I was back then. I actually cared about people’s names. I remembered people’s faces, who they were, what classes I had with them and I even knew who they hung out with. I cared about my grades and keeping them good for what my father’s thought would be good. I was the goody-good for a while. I didn’t drink, smoke, go out and stay out all night, etc. I was perfect in my dad’s eyes. That was until him.

“Who?” I whined. Zac was taking forever to show me who he wanted me to meet. We exited his house through the back door and into his backyard.

“He’s just over there.” Zac informed me, still holding and pulling me by my elbow.

“Where?” I asked, only seeing a group of girls. We suddenly stopped and my elbow was realized.

“He’s in there.” Zac told me. With that he asked the girls to move aside. When they caught sight of me they sent glares my way and then I caught sight of him. He had a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. He took a long drag from his cigarette before throwing it onto the stone porch and stepped on it, putting it out.

“Hey.” That was all he had to say and I was listening.

“Hayden, this is Kyle.”

I scowled at the memory. That was the first time I had girls glare at me. I would’ve never thought to be the one getting the glares. It was new to me and with just one word I was captivated by him. I needed to learn more about him. He was so intriguing.

That’s when I started drinking. I started hanging around him and his friends so much that I lost mine. Dana never wanted to talk to me again when she found out what I was doing. Zac and I lost contact when he moved from California to Vermont. I never saw Franky again after that party. I went to wilder parties. Ones where you couldn’t leave until you downed at least three bottles of beer and did a few vodka shots.

Another memory passed across my vision, but I didn’t want to remember it. I had already dealt with it enough times since it happened. I didn’t want to think about him. No, Kyle had ruined my life enough. I hated the fact that he had moved to my school knowing every little detail about me back then. He was sure to tell everyone and it killed me to know that.