Chapter 15: Sometime or Somewhere

Another week has passed, and Jane hasn't seen Xander since she sent him away. Not even at school, he hadn't shown up at all. Maybe it was for the best. Maybe they weren't meant to be in each other's lives. Before she knew it, class was over, and Professor Ortiz stopped Jane from leaving again.

    "Nic. How are you doing?"

    "Better, thank you."

    "You know, you only have two weeks left to turn in your paper. I was sure that you would be done by now. Half the class is finished, even Alexander - which is why he stopped coming to class."

    "I know Professor. I'm just trying to figure out how to start."

    "I know you'll figure it out. I look forward to reading yours."

    "Thank you Professor."

    "You know, I don't normally do this but... Here."

    "What's this?"

    "It's Alexander's essay."

    "Why are you giving it to me?"

    "Well, I've read it and graded it. But when I was reading it, I realized that it wasn't written for me. I believe that it was written for you."

    "Ummm..."

    "Just take it. And I hope to have your paper by next week. Take care."

    "Bye, Professor."

    Professor Ortiz left Jane alone standing in an empty classroom. She began to question, why was it written for her?

    After she got home from work, she called Nat over to her house. They were talking about the plans for the engagement party, that is in two weeks. While they were having fun making plans, Nat noticed Xander's essay on Jane's desk.

    "Why do you have Xander's essay Bestie?"

    "Professor Ortiz gave it to me."

    "Why?"

    "He wants me to read it."

    "Are you going to?"

    "I'm not really sure if I should."

    "I think you should. There must be a reason why Professor Ortiz gave it to you."

"Okay, fine I will. But I'll read it later. First we need to..."

"No, this can wait. Start reading now, I'll go home. Tell me what it says tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay."

"I'll see myself out. Good night Bestie."

"Good night Nat, see you tomorrow."

    Jane continued to sit on her bed and just stared at Xander's essay. It took her a while to finally gather up the courage to read it.

    This year was really rough. After three years of trying to save him, my dad died of lung cancer. I've been trying to stay strong for my mom, but nothing seems to console her. Everywhere she goes, she's reminded of him. A few months after my dad died, my mom couldn't handle it anymore. So she decided that we were moving to the Philippines. I'm twenty-one years old, almost done with school, and my life is just about to start. I've lived in Australia my whole life. All I know is here: the heat, the waves, my friends, everything is here. I just wish my mom could just get over it, but she's hurting and she needs me, so I agreed to go.

    It was my first day at St. Thomas' College of Business and Arts, and I automatically hated it. We had to wear uniforms, there were so many people, and the buildings were so old they looked like they were going to fall apart. I was trying to get to my first class, and some girl just bumped into me - she almost fell backward but I was able to catch her. Later I found out that she would be my partner for a project, but I wish I knew then that she would change my life forever. I don't know what I first fell in love with; I could say it was her mind, but I would be lying, because the way she would think annoyed me at first. I think it was her eyes that truly got to my heart. Those big beautiful brown eyes that seem to see the world in a way that I could never. I just spent a day with her, one day with an annoying stranger that didn't know how to look where she was walking. After one day, she changed me forever. She taught me to look at the little things in order to see the bigger picture. But I don't think that I fell in love after one day. I think I fell in love with her the instant that I caught her in my arms. I just didn't realize it then, but in that moment I fell for her and I couldn't get her out of my mind since.