Chapter 10: A New Day

It was just as Jane suspected, Xander didn't pick her up from her house to go to school together. Instead she rode to school with Nat, and told her the whole story.

    "OMG Bestie! I can't believe it. I seriously thought that he liked you. Even if courting isn't practiced that much anymore, I could've sworn that's what he was doing. That's why I let him consume all of your time, instead of making you hang out with me."

    "Yeah, my grandparents thought so too. I even let myself believe it. So stupid."

    "I could kill Xander for this. And that girl! She better watch out Bestie. I'll rip out all of her hair so fast she'll really look like the snake she is. Wait until Xander finds out, he's gonna..."

    "Don't."

    "Huh?"

    "Don't tell Xander anything. He can't ever know anything that's happened. How I feel about him, or about Maria."

    "Why?"

    "Because he's happy. He's so happy right now, let's not spoil it okay?"

    "I'm sorry Bestie. I'm here for you okay?"

    "Thanks Nat."

    Xander continued to treat Jane as if nothing happened. As if he didn't have a new girlfriend. As if they were the same as they always were. Nat couldn't stand it, she was completely disgusted by him. She constantly gave him dirty looks while they were in class. For Jane it was really hard, because for the past three weeks, her life revolved around him. She needed something else to help her escape her feelings.

    Class was dismissed and Professor Ortiz stopped Jane before she left the classroom.

    "Hey Nic, are you okay now? Feeling better?"

    "I'm getting there. Thanks Professor."

    "No problem. Remember if you ever need to talk, I'm here."

    "Thanks."

    Jane began to walk out of class and saw Xander waiting for her.

    "Hey, everything okay?"

    "Yeah, Professor Ortiz was just helping me with a problem I had."

    "Oh, anything I can help you with?"

    "No, thanks though."

    "Okay... Well, do you want to go get some coffee together?"

    "Actually, I've got somewhere I have to be. I'll catch up with you some other time."

    "Okay. Are you sure you're okay Jane?"

    "Yeah, I'm great. Hey look, Maria's coming this way. I'll see you later, I've got to get going."

    "Bye Jane."

    Jane needed some more time, more time away from Xander. She needed to find herself again, but she didn't know how.

    Jane walked in a slow and steady stride to the Café de Amor. She began to remember how she first felt when she moved to Manila. Hearing the cars in the streets, seeing all of the buildings, and seeing all of the people. But it all looks different now, it doesn't feel the same. She can barely enjoy what she's experiencing, her heart was breaking with every step. Her heart still felt a sharp pain every time she thought of Xander.

    Jane walked into the café, and almost walked straight out. She felt like she couldn't do it, she just wanted to go home. Then something stopped her.

    "Nic! Hey! Welcome! Are you ready to start?"

    "Martin, I don't know if I can do this."

    "What?"

    "I'm so sorry. I just can't."

    Jane turned around to leave, but Martin grabbed her hand and stopped her. He told her to come with him to his office. With a heavy but extremely broken heart, Jane reluctantly followed Martin.

    "Nic, what's wrong?"

    "Nothing, I just don't think I can do it. Maybe because I'm nervous or..."

    "Heartbroken?"

    "What?"

    "I know a broken heart when I see one, especially with you. I saw it ever since I caught up with you yesterday - I noticed that you're not the same person I met before. I saw something special in you when we first met, but now it seems as if you are completely torn apart. You're sad, broken, confused. Use it. Sing out your emotions. Say what you need to say."

    "If I sing what I'm feeling, everyone might get depressed and leave."

    "Or it might be what they need to hear. Allow me to help you heal your heart. Stay with me. You'll heal here, I promise."

    "Martin, I..."

    "Just try today. If you don't feel the slightest bit better, you can call it quits. No hard feelings."

    "Okay. Thank you."

    "No, thank you. Now get ready, and I'll see you out there."

    For a split second, Jane felt happy. Knowing that there was someone that wanted her to heal as much as she did. Someone that was willing to do anything to help.

    Jane walked onto the stage and sat down behind the keyboard that was waiting for her. She sat there staring at the crowd. Jane began to feel an overwhelming sense of stage fright. She couldn't feel her legs, or open up her mouth; out of embarrassment, she was about to get up and run off stage. But then she saw him. Martin was standing behind the counter and gave her an assuring nod and mouthed the words, "You can do this". In an instant her fear was gone.

    "Good afternoon everyone. My name is Nic, and I'll be your entertainment at this time every weekday. This time of year we see couples roaming the streets, happy and in love. But this song is not for them. This song is for everyone who doesn't have someone, but wishes for that one person in their life. For that one person to realize how they feel about them. But they know that, that one person won't ever feel the same way, that person will never see them as more than a friend. This song is by Sam Smith, entitled 'Not in That Way'."

    Jane sang with all of her heart. Everything she felt, everything that she wanted to say - she sang in her song. All the pain she had, she released in her words. After she sang her last note, she began to open her eyes expecting everyone to have left because the song was just too emotional. To her surprise, there were more people than before. Some were emotional and some were in awe. But all of them applauded, they all enjoyed her performance. For the first time in Jane's life, the world saw her - and Martin couldn't have been happier for her.