Chapter 12: A Day Away

Jane continued to sing at the café, over a week has passed and she still wasn't over the fact that Xander took himself out of her life indefinitely. Her heart wasn't in her singing anymore. She was having a really hard time moving on, and Nat was beginning to feel useless to her. And Martin couldn't figure out a way to console her.

    Jane was also becoming really clumsy at work, because she couldn't focus on anything. As she was bringing chocolate syrup from the storage room, she ran into Martin and got syrup all over him.

    "Martin, I am so sorry!"

    "It's fine Jane, haha. Don't worry about it."

    "Let me help you wipe it off."

"It's okay, I have another shirt in my office. I knew this day would come sooner or later."

Martin turned towards his office with a smile on his face. Jane cleaned up all of the syrup on the floor, she felt so guilty about what happened - she wanted to apologize to Martin again. She stood up from the floor, and slowly walked to his office. Jane walked into his office without knocking and she saw his bare back. He was in the process of putting on a fresh shirt. He slipped his right arm in first, then the left arm. He slowly turned around, and buttoned up his shirt, one button at a time. Jane stared at his perfectly toned body, and thought to herself - "Does every guy in the Philippines have a super nice body?!" Martin looked up and saw Jane standing in the doorway. She quickly snapped out of her daze when she heard him call her name.

"Oh Nic, I didn't realize you were there. Did you need something? I hope you haven't come to dirty this one too, it's the only one I have left. Haha!"

"Haha, no... I just wanted to apologize again."

"It's fine, really."

"Okay, I'll get back to work."

Jane couldn't look at Martin for the rest of her shift, she was so embarrassed. She began to feel so depressed and thought to herself, "Why am I so stupid?" She finished the rest of her shift, desperately trying to not make a fool out of herself again. She would hum Disney songs to try and help herself focus, and luckily for her it was working. Finally it was the moment she had been waiting for, it was time for her to go home. Jane was about to leave for the rest of the day, but Martin stopped her.

"Nic. Hey, do you got a second?"

"Sure Martin. What's up?"

"You're off tomorrow right?"

"Ummm... Aren't you supposed to tell me if I am or not?"

"Oh, right... So tomorrow, you have the day off."

"Oh, okay. Thanks."

"I also will have the day off tomorrow."

"Really, that's nice. You deserve some rest, enjoy your day off."

"I will, because I'll be taking you out for the day."

"What?"

"Look Nic... I can tell that you've been really depressed lately. And I just want to take you away for the day, to help you clear your mind."

"Okay, I guess that will be okay. Is Nat coming too?"

"Nope, it'll be just the two of us. What do you say, do you want to spend the day with me?"

"Sure Martin, I'll spend the say with you."

"Great. I'll pick you up at your house tomorrow, around seven?"

"Sure, see you tomorrow."

Martin turned to go to his office with a huge smile on his face. And Jane's heart felt a little lighter when she turned to leave.

The next morning Jane woke up and started getting ready. She dragged herself from one place to another. She went to her closet to try and find an outfit, then she saw it. It was Xander's shirt, the one that she got dirty. She forgot to give it back to him. Jane clutched the shirt into her hands and sat on her bed, she started to feel her eyes start to water. She sat on her bed just thinking about how everything used to be. Jane didn't want to go anymore, she didn't want to do anything on her day off - she wanted to just stay home, and lie in bed all day. But then she thought about Martin, and how determined he was to try and make her feel better. Jane fought against her emotions, and decided to get up and get ready.

    Just as she put the finishing touches on herself, she heard two loud honks coming from the gate. She began to finish as fast as she could, so he wouldn't honk anymore. But that was just it, the honking stopped. Curious, Jane quickly finished getting ready and ran outside to see what was going on. She carefully opened the gate and saw Martin patiently waiting for her outside of his car.

"Hey Nic. Good morning, ready to go beautiful?"

    He was dressed differently from how he usually does. He was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, as if he could finally relax when he was with her. Martin opened the car door for Jane, and gently took her by the hand and assisted her into the car. After he was sure that she was settled inside, he carefully closed the door and walked to the driver's side, and got inside the car.

"Where are we going Martin?"

"It's a surprise."

    Martin started to drive, taking his time in the busy streets. He was patient and calm and had genuine conversations with Jane as they got stuck in traffic.

Jane felt so comfortable with Martin. It wasn't hard to talk to him, it just felt completely natural. Before she knew it, they were at their destination.

"Where are we Martin?"

"You'll see."

    Martin opened the door for Jane, and again took her by the hand and helped her out of the car. He then latched his arm into hers and slowly lead the way. They began to approach a huge gate.

"Enchanted Kingdom?"

"Yeah... I figured that this would be the closet I can get you to 'The Happiest Place on Earth'."

    Jane's eyes began to fill up with tears of joy. No one could make her feel the way that Martin did. Even at her lowest point, he would always be able to find a way to lift her back up.

It truly was no Disneyland, but it came really close. Being there with Martin, Jane could feel her sadness slipping away little by little. At every chance he got, Martin would find a way to make Jane smile. He made the experience for Jane so much better than she expected it to be. On every ride he would emphasize his enthusiasm, would tell jokes to Jane while waiting in line, and would tickle her every time her face started to frown.

Martin and Jane spent the whole day together at the Enchanted Kingdom. But eventually their happy day came to an end. Jane had so much fun, especially on the log ride; riding that ride really made her feel as if she was at Disneyland. The whole car ride back to Jane's house, they talked about their day together - reminiscing about all of the fun moments they had. Martin and Jane arrived at her house, he again opened the car door for her and escorted her all the way to her front door.

"Thanks Martin, this is the happiest I've felt in a really long time."

"I'm just glad I was able to make you smile. Try not to be sad anymore okay? If I see you frown again, I'm going to tickle you!"

"Haha, okay! Okay! I'll try."

"Good night Nic."

"Good night Martin."

    Martin then sweetly kissed Jane on the cheek and turned to leave. Jane walked up to her room smiling at all of the memories that they made today, and was finally able to sleep better.